Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Engine cut out

889 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  PS6 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Got a problem with my 6....For the last couple of weeks the engine would die whilst driving and then kick back in with seemingly no ill effect....until that is yesterday morning...pulled up outside a house after driving a mile or so and the car just died... Turns over OK but won't fire.

I suspect Immobiliser,as the yellow Imm key light is not lit when I turn the key to the start position. Anyway dropped the car in to the Mazda garage and awaiting news....been there for 24 hours now but no info yet. Anyone have any idea what could be the cause ?
Thanks
J.

#3 ·
Hi Rusty,

Well listening to others on here recently, it could well be the dizzy problem, do a search on dizzy and see if the prob seems the same as yours sounds very familier to me............
Hmmmm mayb just ask mazda to diagnose the prob and get another company to fix it as your b paying double the amount to fix it! iam sure the tech boys will be along in a bit to help you more................
as i say do a search on dizzy!!

Hope that helps a ickle

Stu

#4 · (Edited)
I suspect Immobiliser, as the yellow Imm key light is not lit when I turn the key to the start position.
Hi Rusty

Might be your immobiliser but as Stu said it might as well be your disty it is a problem with these cars.

I found in my car the crank angle sensor (that's the one in the front crank pulley) of the front popped and that can cause the car to die as well. Basically on your pulley there is a plate with 6 corners on it as this rotate it passes the crank sensor which in turn send a signal to the ECU the ECU generates a pulse and sends it to the disty which will then produce the spark. These sensors don’t go often it is normally the disty. The disty has integrated coil and igniter module one or both of these normally says adios amigo lift your feet and walk.:( :( :( not nice to do in any situation.

Apparently you can buy them separately from the dealers there in the UK - Ken posted the following info a while ago.

Coil assembly:
Part Number F3974598
Approximate cost £72.25

Stator assembly:
Part number F3974599
Approximate cost £95

Not sure if it is VAT include though.

Ken and or Einstein can double check my post and correct it where I made any mistakes but this basically covers all on the firing of the 2.5's

Hope it helps m8

ps In SA the mechanics at the dealers reacon that if you change the disty or any part thereof, it is best to change the disty cap and rotor as well - you might want to look at when last the plugleads were changed as well - all these thing can cause disty failure due to the fact that they can cause loss of spark and the why electrics work is if a spark is send out and it is sparked to something it is not suppose to spark to that can damage the actual sender of the spark in this case the ignitor. anycase that how the SA Mechanics see it.:)

#5 ·
Thanks for your comments Stuart & Telstar.

Just got the call from Mazda they tell me I need a new disty...they want £340+ VAT + Fitting....looking at >£500 here.

I asked Mazda about the two parts that you listed but they said that because the car is a V6 then the parts don't fit ? Don't know if they are correct there or not ?

Don;t know the best way forward here.....If the two parts would definetely fit my car then I could save a lot by taking it out of the dealers and having the parts fitted elsewhere or even doing the job myself if it is not too difficult.

Thks
J.

#6 ·
rustyspoon said:
I asked Mazda about the two parts that you listed but they said that because the car is a V6 then the parts don't fit ? Don't know if they are correct there or not ?
Mazda themselves don't sell the dizzy parts separately, and will only sell you a complete unit. It stands to reason that they're not going to admit that you can fit parts from a Ford that they can't supply (and make a fortune on...)

Ken

#7 ·
Ok so its only ford who suppies the parts separately

Thanks Ken

#9 ·
The dizzy problem is usually only on the earlier cars..
They did change the dizzy on later cars, and as such, the new parts as listed above may not fit.. you will need to confirm the correct parts when ordering.

John

#10 ·
To be honest rusty i would take it outta mazda and take it to a local garage and check out a few prices for fitting then use the web address mop gave you, yes the dizzy may have the same prob in a yr or so but by the time you have paid mazda prices you can get 5 second hand dizzys and fitted :)
At least if the dizzy has been on another 6 you no it fits :)
Hope all advise has helped.....

Stu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.