Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
background: '92 LX, 5 sp, 204k miles on it, no problems for 1.5 yrs.

well, this is a new one to me. on the way to work the other day the engine just shut off while driving. since it's been dang cold here i figured that it was a frozen fuel line, so i towed it inside my "shop" and let it sit for a few hours. after that it fired right up, but after idling for 10 minutes, the engine died again. a check of fuel pressure shows that i've got fuel while cranking, but no spark at all. i checked the coil as per the factory manual and it was out of spec, so i replaced it with a new one. that seemed to work for a few days until last night while i was driving around and the engine shut off in the same manner. plugs and wires are 1 yr old, new cap + rotor when i replaced the coil.

since it is an NA, the ign system is rather simple. i'm guessing that the pick up coil or ignitor is on the way out. anyone have any other ideas? this is rather perplexing....

TIA....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
my old 91 did the same thing... but the issue went away when i did the mtx swap.... since you already have an mtx... i dont thik that is your problem... check all your connectors.. over time they DO corrode

·
Registered
2 Posts
drjonez said:
background: '92 LX, 5 sp, 204k miles on it, no problems for 1.5 yrs.

well, this is a new one to me. on the way to work the other day the engine just shut off while driving. since it's been dang cold here i figured that it was a frozen fuel line, so i towed it inside my "shop" and let it sit for a few hours. after that it fired right up, but after idling for 10 minutes, the engine died again. a check of fuel pressure shows that i've got fuel while cranking, but no spark at all. i checked the coil as per the factory manual and it was out of spec, so i replaced it with a new one. that seemed to work for a few days until last night while i was driving around and the engine shut off in the same manner. plugs and wires are 1 yr old, new cap + rotor when i replaced the coil.

since it is an NA, the ign system is rather simple. i'm guessing that the pick up coil or ignitor is on the way out. anyone have any other ideas? this is rather perplexing....

TIA....
What you describe -- runs fine until the engine is hot then shuts off and will restart after a cool down -- is usually a bad pick-up coil or ignitor.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
AdderMk2 said:
my old 91 did the same thing... but the issue went away when i did the mtx swap.... since you already have an mtx... i dont thik that is your problem... check all your connectors.. over time they DO corrode
so in otherwords swap a auto in then swap a manual back in and the prob should go away

i reckon it could be your fuel pump shagged.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
drjonez said:
no idea, i swapped the entire distributor instead of trying each piece.
Gotcha. I swapped entire assemblies and the problem just got worse. The car would die every time you came to a swap so I swapped back this morning to get it running healthier. Oddly enough, both pick up coils dont read up to the spec of 900 and are more like 450-470.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Dyoel, not sure if you're thinking of the turbo engine's ignition system here (poster has an LX) On the nonturbo engine, pickup coil/igniter is one piece and is located inside the distributor. Turbo engine is completely different- pick up coil is in distributor and igniter is totally separate and in black box near ignition coil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts