Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok either when Im going at high speeds or pusing the rpms high my engine will suddenly just shut off, die. I took it to my mechanic, who tells me my car doesnt have a distributor and is Distributor less ignition car. I dont believe him. Anyway, are there any other possibly causes besides the disty? like I know I need new spark plug wires and new valve coer gaskets but i don think they would cause an engine stall. What about something int eh gas tank or a clogged oil filter? any help would be greatly apprecieated

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your car DOES have a distributor. Just follow the plug wires from the engine and see where they end up. All in the same place, the distributor. I am not sure if that would be your problem though. 93-94 6's did have problems with the ignitor (in the distributor) but the "usual" symptoms are that the car would just die, you wait for a while till it cools down, then it restarts. Called a "hot soak".
I would definitely take it to a different mechanic immediately.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Kevin, please PLEASE get this fixed asap. before getting new spark plugs or spark plug wires or even a distributor, GET THE VALVE COVERS CHANGED ASAP! If they are still in the condition I saw them in back at the meet, then they are most likely the culprit or if not playing a BIG part in why your car is not running properly. I would take care of that first, then get new plugs and wires. Then if that doesn't remedy the problem, then go for the distributor. Either way, you'r going to have to change them if you want the car to runn good.

I can do the valve covers for you if you want, at a cost of course.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you tried to see if there are any error codes stored?? I would start there.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
A V6 that stalls suddenly, without warning, when under moderate to heavy load and which may subsequently restart after a minute or two rest definitely has the classic igniter problem. See my page, under "Disty Fix" for details.

Get the gaskets changed before doing the plug wires. These won't cause outright stalling like you're experiencing but can cause roughness and power loss.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am leaning on the disty here, but if the VC's need changing..change them before plugs and wires. The leaking oil will damage the new items, which is not a good thing. If you are going to do the plugs-n-wires add the gaskets to that Saturday of work. The rear VC is a challenge the first time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts