Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

A few months back my ma's 94 probe started having problems again & was taken to the mechanic. He said it needs a new oil pump which is gonna be a big job so your better off getting another engine.

Since then my mums got a new car & the probe has been sitting there. I need a new car to get around in soon & was thinking about fixing it.

I know the probe take the same engine as the MX6 which will be a lot easier to find.

Has anyone here changed a oil pump on their car? is it difficult? worth it? or should i just try & find a reco engine?

Does anyone know where i can find a engine in Sydney? reco or Jap importers?

& how much am i looking at? for the engine? & putting it in?

Also is it true Jap cars are only driven to about 80,000kms over there?

Thanks for the help
Rob

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
new oil pump? thats not too hard to change, definitly not new motor worthy.

the water pump on the other hand is a bit more annoying to change as you have to remove an engine mount and jack the motor.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Also is it true Jap cars are only driven to about 80,000kms over there?
Something along the lines of that. To do with emission laws and what not.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
new oil pump? thats not too hard to change, definitly not new motor worthy.

nah oil pump aint to hard. take timing covers off, drop the belts. take off harmonic balancer/crank wheel. slide off timing gear from crank. undo sump bolts. remove bolts for pickup tube. slide oil pump off and install the new one. hmmm i think the water pump is a lot easier to do on the KL engine. at least you don't have to remove the belts or sump.

what where you thinking :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
yeah, not worth changing motor for oil pump, your mechanic is just lazy...

motors from ja-pan can have anywhere from 80 to 200 thous on em, depends what they can get, mine had 112 on it, and even then thats just what they said...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Be careful that the oil pump failure hasnt caused any damage to the motor but if the motor is still ok its not worth the engine swap. If you do an engine swap it is worth putting the KLZE in it because it is just like putting the old motor in, its a very easy swap i paid $1750 for my motor on my door step

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
If the oil pump was fucked your mechanic might of meant "If the oil pump is fucked it might be worth to change it because when you do and start it up again the oil starvation might of seized the engine anyway"

If you do need to get the engine changed in Sydney, my best mate is a mechanic and him and myself have changed about 8 KL's(4 of which have been mine:)) now and he can do it pretty much in 1 weekend and for less then half of what a shop will charge you. It is a workshop, no dodgy backyard stuff. Let me know if do decide you want to swap the engine (or get the oil pump fixed) via Private message.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Something along the lines of that. To do with emission laws and what not.
has nothing to do with it.

Its more to do with road tax. The older the car gets the more you pay for it. up untill 10 years then it's same flat fee.
The only real reason some cars have low KM is because 90% of japanesee use the mutliple public transport systems they have. you can have 3 railways stations from 3 diffferent companys in one town. or suburb.

Cost of running a car is expensive becaue most japanese don't have car spots so they hire them and you need one to register 1 car.
EG here I have 5 cars I only have room for 1 in garage 1 in car port 2 in driveway = 1 I'd have to have place in parking station to keep it.
but mosst japanese even rich yuong playboys would be lucky to have 1 car spot at there home or apartment.

Japanese cover similar Km's to Australians. in fact some don't use the exotic cars often. Eg every weekend.
But alot of Vans and trucks cover same as any here in australia.

most KL's from a Ms8 or Mx-6 will have covered clsoe to 120,000km's easy. as they are now over 10 year old minimal.
but buying a KL from GF wagon - 97-01 means soem wil lbe less but all autos.

As for the probe choice is repair motor - recondtion is parts EG put timming belt on it water pump fix oil pump.

Or you could do quick swap out proberly still have to do the water pump and timming belt for security.

Or if your adventurous KL-ZE swap. but again do your really just want transport or are you looking for a project.
Swaps aint' for those who are looing for transport, regardless of what soem say, every swap has it's issues.

IMO sound more like you should just repair it or at worse swap in another local delivered engine from a 626/mx-6 or probe or telstar and be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts