Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when driving around town, my engine temp is pointed right at the symbol, just left of center
but after cruising on the interstate for atleast 5 min, it will heat up to about 2/3 of the way from cold to hot
i dunno when the last time the coolant was flushed, but it still looks good
i plan on flushing it, using less coolant/more water, and Redline water wetter
any other suggestions, and anyone else with similar problem?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Get the coolant level verified and change the thermostat. Whatever you do, don't let the motor overheat...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks boss

the coolant level is fine, and it is still good and green
i'll change the thermostat and flush the system soon
i've heard less coolant/more water + water wetter helps keep the engine cooler...true?
btw...when cruising on the interstate it stays at 2/3, never goes any higher (atleast not yet)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Those products will lower your temp a few degrees but that won't solve your problem. Something is making your car run warmer than normal, as it should not move above the normal position at interstate speeds.

Is your water pump original? What's the mileage? The water pump and thermostat come to mind. A clogged radiator would do the same. You can drive at fast speeds then immediately stop and turn off the car and feel the radiator to see if it has cool spots or is all one temp.

Tyson

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the car has 89,000 miles, and i assume it is still the original water pump
about the thermostat, Mazda or universal?
the only reason i ask is because on a previous car i was told to use Honda (sorry) because it was two-stage
thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
Check the fan to see if it's working, have the car in park, turn it on, and pop the hood up and wait for a while to see if the fan is working. I had this problem a while back, the coolant was clogged up cuz of dust, sand, etc.. i don't know how. But it got so bad that one time my coolant just exploded and coolant fumes shot out, green shit running down the side of the car.. That's really gotta hurt the engine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Might need a radiator cap. that was my problem and it was only 6 dollars.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The thermostat is supposed to begin opening between 176-183oF and be fully open by 203oF.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had the same problem as well, and what is keeping the engine from going above 2/3 is the electric cooling fan. The problem was the water pump, get that fixed asap. If the engine get's too hot, you can warp your headers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all

i'll have it all checked out, but i am going to bet on the water pump
what's the approximate cost of the pump?
i know the labor is a bitch because you have to go through the timing belt, etc.
the fans work fine, and i'm pretty sure about the radiator cap

·
Registered
90 Posts
change your thermostat

Got my waterpump change about 7 months ago and I'm still having this problem so it might be more than just your waterpump. just got a full flush through my cooling system and still this problem persists. My cooling fans are working great. I have noticed that my engine only heats up during stops when my engine idles. Probably because the thermostat is forced open only during heavy operation hence more temperature. In any case I'm quite sure that its the thermostat. Have it changed but heed the advice of the others as well. What mileage do you have on your car? The thermostat can't go on forever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hope this is it

well, i just had it checked out at some radiator and ac place, and they said that my radiator is clogged
wanted something like $215 to pull it, unclog it, and put it all back, with new hoses, cap, etc
went to my mechanic, who verified it is most likely a clogged radiator
asked him how much a new radiator would be, he said about 150, told me to go to NAPA
$112 for radiator, $170 including new hoses, cap, coolant, etc
now i just have to put the damn thing in
looks pretty straight forward
will let you know how it turns out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fixed it

well, i put the new radiator in, buttoned it all up, and she's running cooler than ever
hopefully no more problems (atleast until i can afford new struts)
thanx everyone for all the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts