Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my left O2 sensor the other day. I also replaced the air and oil filters and oil also, switched over to mobil 1 trisynthetic btw. Anyway i drove fine to my uncle's house for thanxgivin, then when i start the car to leave i realize the idle's rough..hmm weird. Then upon acceleration, I get 1. shaking, 2. hesitation, 3. lack of power in general. It does this at any speed when throttle is applied. Any thoughts? Have I screwed anything up during my fix?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would check your spark leads first, I find the that mine work loose. Does it seem like your are firing on 5 or 6 cylinders? Could be a vacuum hose fallen off?

Suppose it could be a lot of things. Check all hoses and wire?

Trev

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When i started the car this morning it didn't idle rough, and when i drove it cold it seemed ok. I let the car warm up, and got in. Idle sounded good, and car revs good. When I drive however i feel shaking and hesitancy. Lack of power. The plug leads look ok, but I hear that on this car the stock ones aren't so great. Any more theories (mike94pgt ???) sorry to put you on the spot but you seem to have a lot of experience with this engine.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I had the same sort of intermittent fault on mine.
It turned out to be the HT leads.

Hope its as simple for you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other thing, I noticed that it kind of smells like fireworks when i get out of the car...i dunno. Mebbe coincidence. But I did just buy new Bosche HT leads. I'm gonna replace them as soon as my car cools down a little.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mystery seems to be solved...a bit. Ok I'm switching out the HT leads and I do one first just to test. I drive, and problem seems mostly fixed. Me = happy. Begin to replace the others and I realize that TWO of the back lead wire boots are wet (not the middle one). HRMMMM. Seems that motor oil has leaked into the sockets. I am assuming that the valve cover gaskets are bad. I am also assuming that this sucks, cause it looks like the intake manifold will need to be taken off to replace them. Right now problem has been fixed by sponging all the oil out. I KNOW WHAT CAUSED THIS!!! I just recently changed to mobil 1 trisynthetic. Changing to synthetic tends to bring out leaks. I have heard that sometimes these leaks go away. Can anybody tell me if I need to worry about this?? I'm not too sure what to do. Thx all.

[Edited by _bullet_ride_ on 11-24-2000 at 08:57 PM]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow...

Man, I was thinking of changing over to syntec at my next change because I heard it was better on your HLA's. I dont know if I want to find any leaks like that! Sorry about what happened to ya man....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Synthetics bring out leaks? Never heard that before. I switched to Mobil 1 and have had nothing but great success (thanks to you guys for advising me there). Good luck figuring this one out. Oh, btw, I managed to lock up my left rear caliper. I hear that happens all the time on 93-94 LS's. Once I got the sucker heated up, I just flicked my emergency break on and off and fixed the prob. I cant use my E-Brake anymore until i get it fixed. :(

PeMiL

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dig It

I have justa baout rebuild my entire mx6. All due to things like your problem. From what you have down, my next step is to change fuel filter, becuase acceleration require a lot of fuel, more than just idleing. Also, check the plug wire, Fill a bottle with water and disolve a lot of salt in it, then spray it over the wires in the dark (night) if you see a mini fireworks show, thats to problem. Otherwise its something more serious like injectors, timming, or something else. Try that out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With ordinary motor oil carbon deposits often form after a while on seams and gaskets and whatnot. When a change to synthetic is made, the deposits are often removed, and some leaking occurs. I am not positive that happened with my situation but I am suspicious. Anyway I don't think that the oil in the spark plug wells is too big of a problem but if somebody thinks it is then say something before i kill my car. hehe...argh.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I have almost the same exact problem as bullet ride, right down to the hesitation and valve cover leaking. I'm having my mechanic check out everything mext week.

I was able to pinpoint which ignition wire was causing the problem, the middle one on the front bank. I tested this by taking it out while the car was running, and it ran the same (rough) so I figure it's not making a connection. Another interesting thing I found was that, although several of the other plug wells had oil leaked into them, the one with the bad wire did'nt have any leaks. So I think these problems aren't related, they're just problem spots with our cars that show up at around the same time. Anyways, I'm gonna have my mechanic replace the valve gaskets and I've bought new NGK wires, and I'll also have my mechanic check out how far the spark plugs were screwed in, whether the one in the middle bank is in too far. Anyways, hope this helps.

BTW what are HT leads?

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
HT leads are what we call the plug leads in the UK HT = High Tension

·
Registered
299 Posts
Similar problem right here... about a year back... noticed rough idling... bad acceleration... turned out i had a leaky gasket that was part of the problem but it had also kinda cooked my plug wires... Check it out... and if you can fix it yourself... do. its expensive labour but a cheapo part.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I had a conversation with an experienced mechanic and he said that the oil in the spark plug wells really isn't that big of a problem. In the "front" three wells the valve cover gasket (that's what's leaking) is pretty easy to replace, but that one usually doesn't go bad. The "rear" (nearest to the cabin) gasket is a bear because you need to remove the exhaust manifold. I could do it but I think I'll wait awhile. But I'm gonna leave my new bosche HT leads in until I do. I just bought Magnecor Race Wires but I think I'll wait till I fix the gasket to put those bitches in. Anyway I'm hoping the leak will kind of go away but whatever, I'll have the time to do it. And the gasket costs a pittance compared to the labor I'll save by doing it myself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
willmx6,

funny you should mention the front middle lead, I find mine almost disconnected about every 3 weeks, something is shaking it up and off the spark plug.

Trev

1 - 15 of 15 Posts