Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway now that my motor build up is complete, I'm going to start doing some more mods.
The first is sloted rotors with kvr pads.
- My question about this is for daily drive are carbon pads a bad idea. I mean I hear that you have to warm them up before they will stop good and that they can cool down pretty quickly and stopping power is decreased. SO should I get the carbon pads or what. I have problems with warping rotors and need somthing that will last.

Next mod will be an oil pressure gauge
- Sticking with my trend of high quailty gauges autometer is my first chose. My question is should I get a mechanical or electic gauge? Money is not a problem here.

Next mod will be working on the cooling system.
- I really need to get this car running cooler. So I want an aluminum raditor and better cooling fans. I see that summit sells one for pretty cheap (just under $200) but its made for a chevy. My question is: what pressure cap do I get for it and will the chevy raditors work if they are the right size and the outlets are in the right palces? I saw one on that mx6 that was in sport compact. I'll be running the highest powered fan I can get for the car that will fit.

I think that will do it on mods untill after I break the motor in. Then I'll start on tranny mods and turbo stuff.
evo

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ANd one other mod is going in soon. A turbo Timer. I noted that the FC harrness is the same part # per HKS's catalog so it would be posiable to use other timers using the FC harrness.
I think the HKS unit i the best one on the market right now. I'll see soon enough.
evo

G

·
Even if you don't get a harness, its as simple as splicing 3 wires to install a turbo timer.

Sounds exciting about the FE rebuild. I bet its a real dog now running low compression and no turbo :)

I would get an electrical oil gauge so you don't have to run an oil line into the cabin, could be a possible leak hazard.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am going to second Fly swats suggestion of an electric guage. I have seen 2 mechanical guages fail due to leaks and both leaks were at the firewall hole made for them. And before someone speaks up the holes were grometted properly. The hole creates a stress point on the line even with enough relief they eventually wear out. Also the electrical gauges are easier to install in line of sight if that is a factor in choosing the gauge. BTW autometer has some nice mini gauges that aren't gaudy and can ge tucked into the gauge cluster on the dash.

·
Registered
64 Posts
speaking of oil pressure guages ive allready got a mechaical one.
but ive got no ****ing idea how to install it. its in the dash but not hooked up. ive never done this stuff before. also ive got an amp meter and temp guage. i was thinking of fittining the temp guage sensor in the water jacket between the 2 middle cylenders on the exhaust side of my fe dohc. is that a good idea?

G

·
Beno said:
but ive got no ****ing idea how to install it. its in the dash but not hooked up. ive never done this stuff before. also ive got an amp meter and temp guage. i was thinking of fittining the temp guage sensor in the water jacket between the 2 middle cylenders on the exhaust side of my fe dohc. is that a good idea?
[/Q
Find where your stock oil pressure sensor is on the FE-DOHC block and run the line to your guage from there. Somewhere along that line, T it off so you can hook the stock pressure unit back on.

For the coolant, tapping into your head is a dumb idea. Just T into the coolant line under the thermostat and use some brass fittings to fit the sender into the T, or drill a whole in your thermostat housing next to the stock temperature sender and fan switch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Flyswat,

So you have a festy too. That's funny. I went the B6D(sohc) route from a duece. I am quite happy with it, even though it is turning into the rustiva. BTW every year in Waterford Hill MI there is a Festiva Festival. It's a lot of fun.....:D mostly because the people who go are demented.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Beno said:
I can take some pics if you want me to, b/c there are several locations on the FE to hook up an oil pressure gauge. They are already tapped and are on the head. Mine has little black allen key screws in them.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anythoughts on the pads? I'm about to order and really need a good answer. I wan't something thats good for daily driving that I won't have to "warm up" so I can stop good.
evo

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
evo626 said:
Anythoughts on the pads? I'm about to order and really need a good answer. I wan't something thats good for daily driving that I won't have to "warm up" so I can stop good.
evo

Ferodo 2500 Sport.;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
88MX6GT said:
I can take some pics if you want me to, b/c there are several locations on the FE to hook up an oil pressure gauge. They are already tapped and are on the head. Mine has little black allen key screws in them.
dont worry about the pics.
i found those alen screw plugs im gonna put mine in the one just above the oil filter.
so its just an open line into the the oil passage yeah?
theres no special fitment or anything to go in there?
if the guage is sposed to just fill up with oil am i gonna need to bleed it?
i feel like an ideot asking this basic **** but like ive said all my expierience has been with mx bikes so ive really done ****all with cars.
but im learning so thanks for ur help.:)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I use Axxis Metal Master pads on mine. They seem to stop well when cold and very well once hot. I do have cross-drilled rotors too to go with them. I have not experienced any brake fade on my setup, even when abused, so I can't complain.

·
Registered
64 Posts
get kevlar if u can. they got a realy good feel but r still very powerful. and dont fade much either.
the metalic ones have got a lot of bite but they tear the **** out of ur disks. so if u got cross drilled rotors that might be somthing to think about.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
88MX6GT said:
I use Axxis Metal Master pads on mine. They seem to stop well when cold and very well once hot. I do have cross-drilled rotors too to go with them. I have not experienced any brake fade on my setup, even when abused, so I can't complain.
Ok I ordered the same pads you have. COst $32 with shipping.
evo

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
or try 'Lucas Pads'

excellent - by far one of the best I've tried - compareable to EBC green stuff and bendix ultimates

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
While I'm working on the brakes I'm thinking about ss lines but I dont want to spend $125+ on lines. I found that you can buy earls stuff really cheap. Does anyone know anything about making your own ss brake lines?
evo

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are your rotors directional?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts