Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I live in Canada (freezing weather) and I have a 93 mx6 V6 2.5. The car was perfectly fine from September (when I bought it) until around around January where it started shutting off on an average of once a week when its idleing, not when im driving. The maximum speed on which it shut off is around 20 km/hr. As time passed I thought it was the subs in the back because I installed them in around January, and they would take a lot of power from the battery. Around a month ago the shutting down became worse and the RPM started idling roughly, but again, only on stop signs or traffic lights when im idleing, the RPM would also go as low as 300-400 and then eventually the car would shutdown. From then I have spent over $600 on the car to find what the problem was and this is what I came up with

1) alternator/battery were perfectly fine
2) changed the whole throttle body
3) check the mass flow system and it was fine with no VAC leaks
4) timing belt was perfectly fine as well as the alternator belt
5) 02 sensors are fine

Other information you guys should know is that:
1) The car sometimes gets to a point that when I try starting it, I would hear the belts moving and everything but the car doesn't start!!

2) I drove it from Kingston to Ottawa (~200KM) and on the highway its perfect, doesn't stall, never did on high speeds, it only shuts down and idles roughly when im stopped on a traffic light etc.

---------

I took it to the 4th mechanic today and he had all the spark plugs pulled and all plugs seemed like they needed changing and the 3 plugs in front didn't have oil in them because i changed the head gasket 2 months ago, but the 3 rear plugs(closer to the throttle body) almost had 2 CM of flooded oil on the actual spark plugs. This means I will have to change the head gasket of the rear side.

The coil wires were also torn, what I mean is that there was actually pieces of the rubber still left around the sparkplug when we had the wires removed.

Now I know I have spent almost $600 and i still cant fix the problem, should i go ahead and change the:
1) head gasket
2) all spark plugs
3) all coil wires

This costs around $800. That's what the mechanic told me. Now, I am willing to pay that amount if that will actually solve the stalling problem.

Lately, it's been stalling so much that it's not even driveable in the city. I had to tow it to the mechanic's. I also noticed that the stalling happens more on wet and rainy days.

My question is, do the things I told you guys about (the oil and the sparkplugs etc.) cause the stalling problem and the rough idling or not?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
first off, the most common problems for our cars is the distributor ignitor likes to die and the valve cover gaskets like leak. the oil in your plugs is due to valve cover gaskets, not head gasket. I know what you mean about the coil wires (do you mean spark plug wires?) having the ends getting stuck in the plug wells. it's happened to me plenty of times, but nothing some long needle nose pliers can't fix, along with some silicon sealant to put those suckas back on.

Do you have space to do work on the car? if you do, and if you have time, changing that rear valve cover gasket isn't too horrble. you'll need intake manifold gaskets as you'll be taking that off in order to get to the rear valve cover. if you don't have experience with that, give yourself a few days down time with the car.

but anyway, the stalling especially on rainy days, is most likely due to your distributor dying, which calls for the HEI mod. You might even benefit from fitting an msd blaster coil. If you search, you'll find plenty of stuff on the HEI mod. I haven't done it myself yet, but I will be tackling it in the near future.

But anyway, after you change your rear valve cover gasket, yes replace plugs and wires and do the HEI mod. should fix plenty

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey again

i talked to the mechanic and told him to get started on the gaskets and the spark plugs,
now im a bit confused, so do i tell him to put the HEI mod on the current distributor or should i replace my distributer and then make the HEI mod on it ?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
77 Posts
An HEI mod replaces the car's distributor. It's an alternative route that is usually cheaper and less prone to breaking. Search for more info.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
HEI mod does NOT replace the car's distributor. The HEI replaces the ignitor in the distributor. you still need your old distributor, even if you use an external coil. I recommend modding the old distributor.

old distributor with HEI mod, new distributor = 2 working distributors for you

new distributor with HEI mod, old distributor = 1 working distributor, one broken one

so it's your call :p

·
Registered
939 Posts
did you ever get this fixed?

i still think the issue is largely due to the oild in the three rear valves.

this makes complete sense as i had a similar issue to this but only in one valve.. it would be rough idle at stops but on the highway it was fine.

when your idle its rough (mainly at stop signs) i remeber making a thread about this..

i checkd the plugs after i got a CEL , and it said num4 was misfiring .. i pulled the plug and look its filled with oil.

i replace the plug and clean out the oil.. its not fine (i still need to replace the gasket cuz it does go like that still) but mine never stalled... this is due to the fact that i only had one bad cylinder.. that means i loose 1/6 of the power... if you have three bad cylinders you are loosing half the power . which would easily explain the stalling. as the 3 cylinders are having issues support the missing three.

i think you should make sure that the your mechanic replaced the valve gasket.. cuz i know u called me saying he did.. but u still had the problem.. it sounds to me like he is not dong anything yet saying he is.. i would definetely check yourself if you have oil back there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
HEI mod does NOT replace the car's distributor. The HEI replaces the ignitor in the distributor. you still need your old distributor, even if you use an external coil. I recommend modding the old distributor.

old distributor with HEI mod, new distributor = 2 working distributors for you

new distributor with HEI mod, old distributor = 1 working distributor, one broken one

so it's your call :p

Ahh he's correct I should have been more specific...my bad. It is however usually cheaper and more reliable method to replacing a bad disty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i had a similar problem.
i took it in a shop and the mechanic told me my butterfly valve (i think thats what its called, but im not sure) was dirty. he cleaned it up and it fixed the problem right up
hope that helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot for the help guys, I've had enough problems with the old engine so I just swapped it with the KLZE and it's running great

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts