Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Mazda MX-6 - 140,000 miles, 6 cyl auto trans. When I am on the interstate, if I take the car up to around 75-80 MPH, the engine light will come on. Once I back down to say, 70-75, after about 1 minute the engine light will go off. If I accelerate hard enough (at any speed) that kicks the trans into a lower gear (say passing someone at 50 MPH), the engine light will come on for 1 minute or two then go off. Even if I take off from a stop light or stop sign on the fast side (I'm not talking about rodding it or racing) I have to be careful to not accelerate too fast or the light will come on. I dont know if I'm ruining anything - the motor looks and sounds fine, no knocks or anything. It's had regular maintenance, and for the most part drives very smooth. Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Well, we could guess (and I guess O2 sensor), but in 5 minutes you could find out for sure.

Get a paper clip (or bit of wire), open the little black "diagnostic" box under the hood (next to the fuse box), and use the wire to connect the "ten" and "gnd" pins, then turn the key to "on", and count the flashes on the check engine light. Instructions and codes here:1993-1995 Engine Controller Malfunction Codes

·
Registered
145 Posts
How's your gas mileage? That's a surefire way to find out if your O2 Sensor/s are bad without checking for CEL codes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, it flashed 4 codes at me. 15, 17, 25 and 41 - so it looks like I have an O2 sensor (inactivation and inversion) and a couple of solenoids.

Gas mileage is pretty good for the 6 cly, I think I'm getting 33-36 highway and 22-25 in town.

Thank you so much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts