Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 93 mx6 ls. my egine started coming on. But it doesn't come on when I start the car, it comes on after I drive it like if I have it in gear for a long time. Like if I was driving in 5th on the highway and i leave my foot on the gas the light comes on and stays on. Can anyone figure this out???

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
DjNEo said:
I got a 93 mx6 ls. my egine started coming on. But it doesn't come on when I start the car, it comes on after I drive it like if I have it in gear for a long time. Like if I was driving in 5th on the highway and i leave my foot on the gas the light comes on and stays on. Can anyone figure this out???
Go to my webpage (see my sig) and click on "Malf Codes" to how to read the codes out yourself.

Likely just one or both O2 sensors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. I also took it to 2 places to get it checked out. There both mazda dealers by the way. One guy said it was $800 to fix. he said a egr valve and a solenoid. Then the other place said it was $600. It was a egr solenoid and a power regulator. I'm like WTF. I really just think it's a o2 sensor. But I'm not sure. I think both dealers are just BS.

G

·
I own a 93 ls and i have a similar situation. Ever since i got the car (3 years ago), my engine light comes on. The car has been checked multiple times and no real reason for the light has been givin. It doesnt come on at the start of the engine and comes on periodicaly. Its always been there and nothings happened. Never wait till the light comes on anyway!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Well, before jumping to any conclusions, try reading the codes out yourself and seeing where you're at.

If it's just O2 sensors (any of codes 15, 17, 23 and 24), a couple of Bosche replacements shouldn't cost more than $150 or so, for both.

If you see other codes, like a code 16 for the EGR, there's other things to look at before replacing the expensive EGR valve.

See what codes you get first.

G

·
Ok, I am having the EXACT same problem with my 95 LS v6 as we speak. There is a possibility that the EGR is indeed bad, but you have also gone to two mazda dealerships to have your car checked out, which is a bad idea...dealers SUCK and are money-grubbing bastards and find all sorts of expensive things wrong with your car. It is probably the O2 sensors. You should check the codes to make sure one way or the other. If it is the O2 sensors, i would advise not to get aftermarket, but to order them from a dealer (just one of those things where I would get stock) but if you're really strapped for cash and can't afford the 320+ then i guess bosche is ok. Either that or you can just ignore it. If your mileage hasn't dropped then you're probably not dumping excess fuel and you won't hurt the cat, but then you could be running lean, which could harm some valves. Hmmm. Anyway I would say get your codes, and then ask Mike here what to do because he knows more about this car than anybody on earth.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
DjNEo said:
Where would I check for the codes and how??
is it on that website??
Yep. Go to my Malfunction Code page and follow the directions there.

G

·
Be careful... I was having the same problem... check engine light coming on intermittently at high speeds, so I took it in to the dealer, who confirmed the O2 sensor to be bad, and quoted me $700... $400 parts and $300 labor. I later found that you can buy the sensor at Advance Auto, or any other parts store for around $75 per sensor (there are 2... one either side of the exhaust manifold), and they screw in like a sparkplug.

Maybe not a good project for the typical do-it-yourself'er, but definitely not worth paying someone $300 for.

Just keep your eyes open.

- JL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts