Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe not, maybe you'll know how plausible this is.
Mazda tech told me that since the motor was rebuilt, and was a junkyard piece when I got it, that I don't know what happened to the engine before I got it. Which is true. He said that if it had overheated, the valve springs would be weakened, and if they weren't replaced <and I'm sure they weren't> that I could be getting valve float around 4K rpms. Anyone ever experienced valve float? I'm losing power, the engine is sputtering, and backfiring at around 4 grand and up. The engine idles and runs fine until that point.
Someone else said maybe a vacuum hose is spongy and under high vacuum, a hose is sucking closed, pinching itself off, so to speak. Now, this doesn't sound plausible, since I didn't have a problem until the engine was rebuilt, and I didn't replace any vacuum hoses, so they're the same as before, and I didn't have the problem before. But, someone told me that the new engine is gonna create more vacuum, for some reason. Does this sound plausible?
As always, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wait, did you rebuild the motor, or have it done. or did you buy a motor somebody "said" was rebuilt. If it was why didn't you test the valve springs?. It is pretty easy and might hold the answer to your problems.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I bought an engine from a junkyard and had it rebuilt. I did my homework, the man is reputable. And why didn't I check the valve springs? Because I paid a grand to have it rebuilt from someone who's supposedly reputable, how in the world would I know to go back and check them?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The valve springs sound feasible. $1000 to have an engine rebuilt is cheap. Not just because of overheat, but age and abuse on that motor could make them (the valve springs) weak too.

Man, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this dam car, especially after spending all the time and money getting the engine rebuilt.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry too, and my wife is more sorry than both of us combined :D
The machine shop said they test every spring that comes through before putting them on an engine. But, he said it's possible he missed one, or that one broke. Like, just halfway through a coil, not broken completely in half. He said that could cause a valve to float at higher rpms, and not at lower. At any rate, I have another head that he's testing the valve springs on today, and if they're good, tomorrow I'm gonna put them on and we'll see. If not, well, I may not be an MX-6er much longer. For the money I've spent/am spending, I could buy another car. My wife has been pushing me to get something else, but, I just can't bear to part with my 6. Oh well, we'll see tomorrow what happens.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Dam man, I feel for you. I could understand why you wouldn't want to F*ck with it any more.

If he said he may have missed a spring, he should do SOMETHING, I don't know what, but you know.

But the car is driveable right now, right? Maybe give it a little time, drive it for a while (if that spring won't screw it up), and don't hit the high rpms. Just a thought anyway. once your wife sees it running, and you not fighting it, she'll ease up a little--then you can start fighting it a gain;). I mean, you've already got a lot of money in it, sounds like you may have figured it out.

LET US KNOW--

1 - 6 of 6 Posts