Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Energy Suspension sells polyurethane engine mount inserts for a bunch of cars but not ours, so when I bought new engine mounts I went to the hardware store and bought a tube of polyurethane (that fits in a caulk gun) and I filled the air spaces that are moulded into the mounts with this goo. I've heard of other people doing this but don't remember who.
Can anyone tell me if this mod was successful for them? As in, does it help increase throttle response and make the car easier to launch with out wheel hop (like the energy suspension inserts are reputed to do)?
Anyways, if it works out then its a great cheap (5$) mod.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,962 Posts
Not a bad idea. I know Travis Williams on probetalk has used pieces of an old timing belt to strengthen/solidify the mounts on a 2ndgen. Do you feel any difference since you have done this mod?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well....

The mounts themselves have turned out great...the polyurethane cured perfectly after 3 days or so and now I have totally solid rubber engine mounts. My problem now is getting them in.
I jacked my car up this morning to take a look at what would be involved.
The engine puts its weight on a bolt that goes through the mount, but im afraid there's too much weight on it for me to be able to pull the bolt out. And if I do get it out, I'm afraid the engine will sag down slightly and I won't be able to lift it up again to install the new mount.

If anyone has replaced these mounts before I'd really appreciate some tips; then I can get down to reporting on improvements they might make.

thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,962 Posts
Take a floor jack and a block of wood and jack the motha up from the oil pan.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,962 Posts
That probably will work YZF-R1.Worth a shot. How come you're getting rid of your 6?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
For one its a DX running on 213,000 miles and i just wrecked it. I fixed it up my self so you cant even tell its wrecked, but none the less its kinda worthless. Despite the 213k miles, i am willing to put my cars looks up against many other cars out there, i wash AND WAX her every week, rain snow sleet or hail. When it rains the water just kinda hovers over the car from all the wax on her. Sweet car but not for me. 4 wheeling is better. It has a way to my heart that only a cute girl could duplicate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE....

I replaced the front engine mount a couple days ago with my polyurethane filled one. It was a total bitch. First of all, the nut on the bolt going through the center of the mount was totally stuck, and there wasn't enough room under the car to use a breaker bar. I tried to use one from above, but there wasn't enough clearance through all the radiator and turbo hoses. I finally got it loose though after about an hour.
So I unbolted the bottom of the mount and pulled the bolt out of the center of the mount and figure it would come out easy. WRONG! There's not enough clearance between the mount bracket and the block, or the mount bracket and the radiator for the damn thing to come out. I was able to fit it sideways inside my fan shroud between two of the fan blades, and I was thinking I could just turn the fan until it got to the top and I could pull it out from there, but the mount was too wide to pass under the plastic braces that hold the fan motor in place.
(none of this will probably make any sense unless you print this out and go look under your car while you read it.)
So I actually cut one of those plastic pieces out (leaving 5 of them to hold the motor), so I could slide the mount around the shroud far enough to clear the mount-bracket.

Installation was the reverse of removal.

So the moral of the story is this:
If you wanna change your front mount, you have to REMOVE THE BRACKET FROM THE BLOCK, and don't unbolt the mount from it, just unbolt the mount from the crossmember it sits on.

I didn't wanna take the bracket off the block because I could see that the 4 bolts holding it there were going to be super hard to loosen.

As for improvements, it's hard to say what the final results will be since I don't have the rear mount on yet (and it's probly torn just like the front mount was or worse), but there is a mojor improvement for now. There's much less slack felt in my drivetrain when I lift off or get on the throttle abruptly. The engine isn't wiggling around so much so throttle response is better. Basically if the rear mount maes as much of an improvement then it will be worth all the dirt that has fallen into my eyes while doing this.
Im sorry I can't say what differnece the poly inserts made, Because I dont have another MX6 with new stock mounts to compare it to. All I know is that after the polyurethane cured, the metal bushing which is suspended in the mount could not be deflected from center at all, unlike the stock mount which had a lot of squishyness to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
thanks antiSUV for giving a heads up on the motor mount deal. I just got the car last week and have already discovered how tight the engine is. I think you saved me like 3 hours of work even with all the right tools. you rock!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top