Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help folks. My engine tends to overheat (needle goes from 50% to maybe 75%) after a good highway run when i have come to a stop, and sometimes when just sitting in traffic. Temp goes back down to normal when I start moving again (and does it quite fast).

I have had extensive work done on the car by a trusted mechanic - he checked the thermostat (was fine) and replaced a sticky fan switch. Of course the problem didn't occur when he had the car.

Any ideas? I am thinking of having the radiator flushed as I inherited this car (has only 59K on it) and don't have complete repair records as to what was done or not done.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was having a similar problem, and just today, I toped up the anitfreeze, and it seems to have cured it, I was only about 1 litre of fluid down, but apparently that was the problem. To be fair, I have only had the car out for one run since I did this, but it was heating up all the time, and now it isnt, so.... for $10.00 its worth a shot. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Try bleeding the cooling system. To do this, start with a cool car. remove the filler cap atop the engine. Start the engine and allow it to heat up. You add antifreeze/coolant to the fill cap until it will take no more. Replace cap and drive car.

That cured a similar problem on a 2.5L Millenia I was working on once.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
funzie said:
What does the car do when you turn it off and let it cool. Does it leak water out of the cap, do the hoses implode? Does it maintain the same ammount of fluid?

Heh, what does it mean when the hoses implode? Is that bad? Meaning that after you turn the car off the hoses squish in, as if the fluid is being sucked out? Cause mine do this and I am having some occasional issues w/ overheating...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Yep, exactly, the hoses get sucked in. I had that problem and it was the hose that goes from the expansion tank into the coolant reservoir. Disconnect it at the expansion tank and blow or suck on it and see if there is any blockage. Mine was completely blocked. I unplugged it and fixed my problem right quick.

G

·
i have a v6 and hoses are new radiator got flushed fans are working radiator is full water pump works thermostat is gone and the car STILL HEATS UP after like 5 mins of driving what the hell can i do now???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts