Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys...im just wonering if u can use brake and caliper paint on the engine?

i.e. i have some red caliper spray paint in the shed(490 degress celcius max) and while i am getting my valve cover gasket replaced..i thought i might as well paint it the valve cover red

so is this paint ok for the heat that the valve cover produces?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It will technically work, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Absolute BEST thing you can do is get it powder coated.

It will look a ****load better, paint will be uniform, and it will handle the temperature and maintain a gloss.

Pete

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh coo will go get some i think :p

but is 490 degrees enough for the valve/rocker cover ?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You can get the valve cover powdercoated for $35.

You just drop it off, they will blast it deadly clean, and then do the powdercoat for you.

Much better result, and no effort involved :)

Pete

·
Registered
415 Posts
when i got mine done i got a hell of alot of residule sand on the inside part of the valve cover, it took me the rest of the afternoon (about 4hours) to clean off most of the sand... you still could come across the occasional grain..... So if you do go powder coating perhaps you can suggest that they properly cover the inside bit and only sandblast the top... its a real pain otherwise...

powder coating looks pretty good although i have seen some decent jobs done with spray paint.. but for 35 - 50 dollars if you can pull it apart yourself then its worth it...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anyone know the hottest that the valve cover actually gets?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
192.3452deg Fahrenheit.

Who knows? It would be different for every car, some have the boost higher, some have different radiators, some have different thermostats, some cars are in Melbourne, others are in Darwin, there is a lot of variables there.

I can tell you that I'm using 300deg paint on mine, and its still there.

Tripharn

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahh ok...i saw a pic of ur engine bay tripharn..looks very nice...

did u power coat it or use spray ?

·
Registered
642 Posts
i used some cobalt blue paint on mine (just normal car paint) and it seems to be holding up. this was about a month ago, and it still looks good.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok then..ill be using the caliper spray paint i got...how many coats do u guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
around how hot does the heat shield get???..cause i wanna spray that also

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Ducktape, stop replying to yourself. You have been warned more than once

Mx6.com rules:

Double posting - Do not post the same thread in multiple forums. Also do not post replies to yourself, edit your posts to add content instead. Redundant posting is considered spam.

If you have something to add, dont add another post add it to your previous post if no one has replied. Also if you have another question search before you ask, you'll probably find an answer somewhere in the 1st gen forums. Theres plenty of tech stuff there.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Im using engine paint on my heat sheild right and after less then a month its gone bad.

its started to peal and look crap :( and thats 400deg paint.

Ducktape69 - there is a reason why they make caliper paint you know ? to use on calipers..

Like they make house paint for houses.

Also there is no way of knowing how hot your engine will get.. we are not know it all but we pretend to be :)

If my valve cover gasket leaks is it time to get another ?

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I find it pleasently amusing that Ducktape is so keen to learn.

I am too lazy to even post replies to his questions, but that mainly because they come out quicker than they can be answered.

And ducktape, everytime you have a question. Go and clean a part of your car, then ask the question.

You wil have the cleanest car and now and then you may find the answer while you are cleaning it...;)

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Oh

And before you ask.

A bucket and sponge + some soapy water......

As for wax, i use Mothers Caranuba wax.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what type of sponge do u use?
and how many ML's of soap do u put?
and oh oh..before i forget to laugh...ha ha

ha
@-
ha

p.s. how can i learn the complex things without asking the stoopid little questions that i know everyone hates seeing but i still need to know

cheers guys ;)

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
If all else fails, i will have my MSN on for you.......

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Buy a workshop manual..

If you really are as keen to learn as you seem to be, give more things a go before asking questions.

Yes, there will be times when you come to something hard and you will need help, so then come ask questions.

The manual is $100 including the supplement....read it COVER to COVER.

You should know ALOT about your MX6 then...

Pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.