Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my 88 GT is having wierd problems with the way it runs. I when at idle if you give it just a little bit, just barely move the pedal the RPMs drop and it kinda sputters. When on the road at sertain throttle postions the engine also sputters. Under full throttle accelertaion, the engine doesn't pull that hard at all. I put it back down to stock boost, but it still has these problems, the one thing I noticed is that the last part of the intake tubing that attaches to the TB has a pretty good sized leak in it. Is that what is causing the engine to run so bad? I am still showing 6 psi on my boost gauge. But you can hear the leak under the hood when the engine is on and idling. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
You said it right there. The big hose that connects the TB to the air filter MUST be intact. Throw some duct tape around the hole for now until you can get a new hose, and she should run fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay well I tried the tape. I fixed the leak, but the car is still running like crap. The check engine light is on, and the car surges under full throttle. Any ideas, I am desparate!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had the same problem with my TB boot. I tried to duct tape it, but under any boost the duct tape will NOT hold! You will need a new boot, around $45 at your Mazda dealer. It made such a difference on my car I suspected the boot was cracked since I owned the car:)

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Yeah, the duct tape worked for me, but I have a non-turbo, and the tape held in my case, but that makes sense that with boost the tape may not hold. So that may be why your car is still running poorly. The symptoms of the car surging as well as idling and accelerating poorly sounds exactly like what happened when I had a hole in my intake hose, however.

This has to be THE #1 problem with these cars... especially in the winter when cold weather takes it's toll on rubber parts (i.e. cv boots, power steering rack boots, intake boots)

·
Registered
405 Posts
the boot on mine has been cracked since i got it, and it doesnt seem to effect her any....maybe i should replace it, and find out what she is really capable of. i didnt realize this was such a problem. thanks fella's

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes! I had thesame problem the other week, i simply got a new distributor cap, a set of new leads and plugs. Car pulls like a train again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts