Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up guys,

Or i did alot of searching and I have alot of ideas but no solid answer becuase im not sure if people have the same problem that I have. here is the problem

When I start up the car the idel is fine. a little high but not bad plus it is getting colder. so after i drive the car for a while every time i stop the cars RPM's pules. the go up and gown about 1,000 RMP's. the warmer the engine gets the more it happens. when the engine is cold it dosent happen. I have not had a diagnostic check on the car yet. it is expensive to have it down so if any one has had this problem and has fixed it please help me out. the car is using up alot of gas. my car has 170,000 miles on it.
thanks alot guys for the input.

Alos check out my other page where I have a bunch of parts for sale if u need interior stuff.
interior parts for sale

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no dude i don't have a services manual. where can i get one. can i download it some where.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can do a self diagnostic test on it yourself. Just a thought. Got any copper wire?

What kind of mileage are you getting?

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
this sounds like an IAC or vacuum leak. 1st, pull some engine codes.

The IAC is attached to the bottom of the throttle body. If there are bubbles in your coolant this can mess up the IAC and cause a searching idle, but 1000rpms...I doubt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i have some copper wire. how do i do a self test. im glad to see that other peoepl are having the same problem. im def goin to fix mine. so if i do i wil let u know. and if u do let me know. it sucks to hear the engine keep revving. makes me sound like a queer.
ok so now about the self test? also what am i testing for. ive me all the info u got :)
thanks andrew

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I am amazed at how people can answer questions yet they do not realize the the relevant information about the car.

1. You have a 1996 Mx6, which implies OBDII. Which requires a reader, NOT a copper wire. You CANNOT pull the codes yourself, if you try you might risk frying the ECU and you still won't get any code, because it is a computer design.

2. Do you have the V6 or the I4. That can make a huge difference seeing how the V6 throttle system and I4 is completely diffrent. The V6 relies on a TPS sensor that can be controlled and also has coolant pumped into the TB. The I4 on the other hand has no such TPS since it runs on a MAF system.

Either way you need to take it to someone that has a code puller for OBDII cars or you can buy your own for around $150.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Doesn't autozone pull codes for free? Or is that only for ODB-1?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys whats up. I just went to a guarge and had the guy run a test on the computer. It is the TCP sensure on the car. mine is totally shot. so once i replace it i will let all of u know. thanks for all the input and I hope I can help out some other people if they need it.
Andrew

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
TCP? Do you mean TPS as in Throttle Position Sensor?

·
Registered
20 Posts
man i have looked at the car myself, asken here, took it to people i know, local mechanics, the dealarship and nobody has been able to tell me or fix whats wrong so i dont know what to do now and i had all my codes checked and there fine

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya guys sorry it was the tps. ya a new one from mazda is 150.00. i will replace it an tell you what happens after that. it right at the top and won't be to hard to replace. hopefully this will work. I will let you guys know what happens.
andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts