Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am hearing a really nasty tap tap noise in my engine :(
really f--ing depressing i just bought the car. does anyone know how much it should cost to do a engine swap with trans to the klze? parts and labor?
How about a rebuild. what would you guys recomend for street/race car? i cant find labor prices or trans prices, or a contact to do it all.
please help.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
hmm

Our engines are notorious for a ticking.. usually known as the hla tick :) its actually very common in our engines and not detremental in anyway, I wouild suggest changing your oil .. I forget which one people recommend, but if you search around you will get some info... check out some info at www.probetalk.com also... Does the ticking seem louder on a cold start up and quiets down as the engine warms?

Lates...:)

·
Registered
511 Posts
before spending thousands try changing it with mobil 1 5w30 oil and either a mazda OEM oil filter or a Mobil 1 corvette ZR1 filter. and just live with the tapping. it much cheaper

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not just clicking it really sounds like knocking. at idle you can barely hear it when its warm, but when i rev it, it gets louder. its more like a clack clack noise. The problem came out when i changed the oil. it sounded good when i first got it and it has always had suficient oil and a new filter.
thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is noticible on a cold start at idle, but not when the engine is warm at idle, only when i rev it.
any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
i've had a smiliar problem but instead of a clickin my tachtometer drops to 0 and stalls at idle if it is cold

G

·
Hey Man Hold Off On Your Decission .........How Loud Is The Taping Noise......... It May Just Be Your Fule Injectors The Little Black Looking Boxes Under Your Heads........ That May Be Your Taping Noise............ If You Drive With The AC On Concider It Being Your Air Condition Clutch.... Mine Rattles Meaning That My Clutch In The AC Unit Need's To Be Changed............. Describe The Noise.....XO
What Kind Of Spark Plug Wires Are You Using and Also Tell Me You Feed Your MX-6 Proper Gas 93 Octane..... try using A fuel Injector Cleaner ...Injectors May Be Cloged...... Run Some Octane Boost When You Put In Gas A Couple Times...... Also Put An Oil Treatment In Your Car At Next Oil Change....... Check Spark Plug And Or Wires. You May Have A Bad WIRE OR PLUG They Do Go Out Car May Be Miss Firing..... Check Distributor Cap And Or Distributor Or Even Whole Unit.........Ok That Is Just A Few Things..........ok that's it

94 MAZDA MX-6 LS V6 Emerald green................ Open Element (K&N), OBX Racing Exhoust, Gutted Cat Converter, Stock Pipe to a 2.25'' pipe from converter to Tip... Got Rims Not on Car Yet RacingHeart 17by7, Custom built (from my design ....721 degree pitch) alunimum single Spoiler Stage Three ACT Clutch, Going Back to Stock Hard On Transmission, Car Running 14.94 Quarter.....Car almost all stock
:p

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had this problem in my car which is a 4-cylinder, and at first when I would turn it on, it would click, then it would get warm and quiet a little then as I drove more it just got worse and worse. It ended up being my lifters, supposedly the hydraulic lifters used in both the 4cyl and v6 are notorious for being shitty, and
are a common problem. It cost me a few hundered bucks to fix, which sucked but now my engine is really quiet and a pleasure to listen to.

·
Registered
293 Posts
price of a rebuilt engine

I've checked,
the rebuilt 4banger is about $3500, I donno the labor cost to put it in,
you can get a dood and "used" from a junk yard with 50k miles for about $500-$800

·
Registered
732 Posts
corksport has a KL ZE rebuilt engine. check my site for a review. id rather go with a new engine like this than rebuild the one ive got.. maybe a bit more money but in the long run will make you better off.

i found another solution to the ticking noise. its a lot less expensive than replacing teh HLA's...rip off your cat converter and have a stright through pipe, and get 2 or more 12s in your trunk, and leave your windows down. This should muffle out the ticking noise.. very technical..

heh

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a problem with my car which is a 626 V6. Like a moron i didnt check the oil when the light was flashing (big mistake) and i dont know exactly what happened but my engine was making a clanking noise like crazy. There is this thing where you put a container of MTX fluid in your freshly changed oil and let it sit overnight. I think it's MTX fluid, dont quote me on it. Thats what the dude that did my engine suggested. IT did not work so i went for the KLZe, Cost me 1700 with a 3 yr warranty. Then i paid 800 to install and 800 extra parts. The extra 800 for parts was recommened by the guy who did my engine. He said that since everything was out i should save on labor and change things that would have to be changed eventually (belts, check out the clutch,cv boots, etc...) The engine is great and i bought it from Japan DIrect at www.usedengines.com
But before you blow all this cash make sure that it isn't something stupid causing the noise.
Breogan

G

·
I have a very loud knocking noise when i first start it up and then when it is over 2000 rpm. It is my rod bearing. To know for sure try takeing off each spark plug boot one at a time and put a test spark plug in. fire up the engine and rev it up if the noise is quieter then u know what cylinder is the problem.

G

·
could also be a lifter, like speed demon said pull one spark plug off at a time to see if the knock stops, dont rebuild, it would cost more to rebuild depending on the problem, if it is lifters your looking at $800 for a set, rods and pistons are even more expense and labor for a rebuild is gonna run you the same if not more than it would be fore a KLZE swap, klze engines seem to cost around $2000 plus about $700 in labor for the swap, if you are wanting to rebuild your engine, i sugest you do it yourself to save on labor, its not all that difficult and if the knock is on the top of the engine you dont even have to pull the engine to fix the problem just pull off the top half, if the sound is from the bottom, its probably a rod... good luck

·
Registered
140 Posts
Why does everyone always jump to say klze. Yes ita a good engine and all but its still a stock j-speck. Just save up some extra pennies and do it right. Knight turbos sells strocker kits, forged rod/piston combos. If you look around you can get billit crank, reground cams that will give twice the power as the ZE cam. Take you 2000$ for the ZE and buy a second car, then build your engine right.

G

·
I say KLZE because it is the cheapest horsepower you can get for the mx-6, 40 horsepower for $2000 isnt bad, the intake anifold alone on the kle goes for $650, I agree with doing your engine right, IF you have $5000 to throw into it...

G

·
I ran across some text about 30 minutes ago that really caught my intrest, 60 - 70 HP increase taking it up to 220 hp, but Im not sure if its possible, anyone able to find any info on dropping a SHO engine into the mx-6? i saw pics of it put into a probe, but i cant find swap info on it... 220 hp for $1000 engine is definately worth looking into.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've thought of that before but I didn't want to be the one to spend all the money and time being the first one! Ok, ok, I'm a slacker, I admit it!
How about a Contour SVT swap? Likely to be as expensive as the KLZE, though.
How about the SHO V-8 swap? Better have deep pockets for that one.

G

·
hey while were talking v-8 lets just drop a big block 500 in there :) it would be nice, but realisticly the 3.8 L v-8 SHO engine is a fairly large block, and the 2.5L barely fits in the compartment, i dont want to be the first one to completely widen the frame by 8 inches to make it fit :) Im a slacker, thats why i want instructions :) otherwise ill end up with a 3.0 litre V-6 SHO engine duct taped in place with the front quarter panels inmy garage.. wouldnt that be attractive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts