Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to save up to have my engine rebuilt. Does anyone know where I can buy an engine rebuild kit? If you do, how much does it cost? Also what about a turbo rebuild kit and how much does that cost? Any help will be very appreciated!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks man! I'm going to double check with my mechanic. He can get japanese OEM stuff and maybe stuff made from japan, other than american parts... Gotta be original. I checked your profile and you said that you have race ported heads. What's that? I'd like to do all these engine mods at the same time.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My race head consists of: port and polish, 5 angle valve job, titanium valve guides and retainers custom made, and F1 spec combustion chamber. This is something only found on F1 and CART race engines, the cumbustion chamber is imporoved for better flow and the quench area has this squigly etched patern. These small crevases get filled in with carbon deposits and form a smooth surface over time. This is best for cars that need to be run for a long period of time. I also got the intake and exhaust manifold port matched. This head wasnt cheap, it cost me $1000. I decided to do this because I plan on rebuilding another engine in the summer. I plan on getting it blueprinted, balanced, nife edged crank, with forged pistons and rods, along with a T3/T4 turbo, lots of boost, and other mods. Im shooting for 12 sec. 1/4 mile time slips, for a street car. I have lots of work ahead, but Im pretty determined.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the whole shabang for the race ported heads and installation cost 1k or was that just for the parts? After the installation, is there any maintance? Or is it just you have sweet heads and it's just like it was before but better?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just the head work cost $1000. I had a friend help put it on. Its like it was before but way better, no maintance yet. Dont expect any, the head was done by a professional, who has 30 years experience. I get better milage, when I drive normal... but when I drive like a nutcase, I can see the gas needle go down. I need to go to the track and see what I run. My car should run low 14s mabye high 13s in the 1/4 mile, right now. If you got any ?'s post them, later.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice man. Where can i get these performance heads and stuff?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I got mine done by A-1 Superheads. You need to look for engine performance rebuilders. They should be able to do head jobs, or know someone that dose, just ask around youll find them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go to probetalk.com and ask around there. Their is a guy there that knows the 2.2 motors really well and does all this head work. I can't remember his name right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts