Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked earlier if it was possible to remove the engine from my 89 mazda mx6 gt aws. I did it, alot of people told me it wasnt possible without removing the tranny with it. It was kinda tricky but the motor came free with not problems.:cool:

Will post pics soon!

Does anyone know of a good place to take a clutch and fly wheel to have checked or resurfaced? The clutch has tons of life left and I dont want to spend the money to buy a new one. Any feedback would be much appriciated!

MySpace.com - Chris Process of rebuild! - Photo 20 of 21

MySpace.com - Chris Process of rebuild! - Photo 21 of 21

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
unless you know how many miles are on the clutch. just spend some cash and get the clutch. it would reall suck to put it all together and have a clutch fail cause you didnt wanna spend the money.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, one more question. What is the difference between a stage 1 clutch and a stage 2? and is there any downfalls?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
stages don't mean shit. find out the torque ratings and get one rated an extra 10-20% over what your making or planning to make.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Considering you all have some form of a Mazda, Is there a clutch that performs better over the the rest? (brand or type?) I dont know much about the clutch and I like performance but I cant afford to rebuild constantly. So with that said some guidance would be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
If you don't plan on doing many mods, just get the stock Exedy clutch. You can get the clutch kit from Nopionline.com

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would this be overkill then?

STRIP Series Clutch Kit - Stage 4 - 4cyl 2.2L Turbo - 6 Pad Ceramic - Includes a performance pressure plate, a six puck high torque sprung disc with Ceramic buttons, all applicable bearings, and the appropriate alignment tool - Available with a double spring, six rivet carriage is good for ease of gear transition with higher horsepower - Provides 250% increase in torque capacity

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Yes, it would obviously. I wouldn't even use that clutch LOL

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HAHA! see, I need help. I tried searching for clutch torque #'s and specs but i'm coming up short. My flywheel has a little rust from sitting but has lots of life. The clutch gripped like crazy before I parked her. I just dont want to put her all back together and have to disassemble to replace the clutch..... Any advice on what YOU would use? I am only asking because I trust this forum, if it were anyone else I'd be a little afraid.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet, thanks for the help and info. I hate not finding what I am searching for and paying top dollar for something you don't really need. Thanks a lot!!!

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I still want that from you...we need to work something out ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My clutch looks alot like his does. I know it has 6 springs... What is better or what is the difference? 4 or 6?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts