Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 MX6 V6 and have taken exceptional care of both the exterior and engine. Within the last few months I have experienced the engine shutting down. I have had the codes checked, but nothing has shown up. So far the mechanics have had me: 1. Do an induction to clean the jets, 2. replace the fuel filter, 3. had the electrical system checked,and 4. replace an O2 sensor. Nothing has worked. Here is what it does. At highway speeds, when the engine gets nice and warm, the engine cuts out. The electrical system isn't shorting because the stereo and other devices never skip a beat. The only thing I haven't tried is a fuel pump, which will cost me about $600, but I don't want to do it if it may not be the problem. If anyone has any suggestions, please email me or post a reply. I have no idea what may cause this problem or whether it is just my car or a mx6 problem. Thanks for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
girlfriends 94 did same thing

it ended up being the valve covers leaking oil into spark plug chambers causing a bad connection and therefore causing the car to shut down. you said you have taking good care of the engine so i dont think you miss oil in the chambers but if you have not checked give it a look. hope i could of been some help.
brandon

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Igniter

hurshdog said:
I have a 93 MX6 V6 and have taken exceptional care of both the exterior and engine. Within the last few months I have experienced the engine shutting down.
<*snip*>
hurshdog,

Go to my web site at http://home.golden.net/~trinity and click on "Disty Fix".

The problem you are experiencing is most likely caused by a bad igniter module in the distributor and is a common fault in 1993 and 1994 V6 models.

Good luck,

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Engine Dies

I have been throught the same as you ..new O2 sensors and everything. Cuts out at f/way speeds and re-starts and No codes stored. I had recently had my distributor cap, rotor, ignitorand spark plug wires replaced... practically everything except the distributor housing (dunno if I'm using the right terminology here) Anyway the point is 3 months later it start to stall. I think the semiconductor that characterises this fail (is it the stator?) is moulded into the part of the ditributor that you cannot buy as a piece part (I call it the distributor housing) Solution? Re-manufactured distributor from Mazda $277.00. You can install youself if you have the skillz - I don't- or get a mechanic to do it for another $100.00 or so. I'm havig the new disty put in today.

Oh hey the Technical Service Bulletin on this is on Julians web page http://www.bradbury.cwc.net/probemx/index.htm. You can take the TSB number and give it to your mechanic. I love the internet... and this site is just tops

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts