Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i recently bought a '93 Australian Mazda mx6.
The car wasn't in "showroom" condition and has several oil leaks but drove really nicely.

On my way home from work tonight, as i was accelerating the car started to splutter and the revs dropping down and up.

I put my foot further down on the accelerator and more spluttering and the revs died and the engine stalled!!

It then took me ages to get the car started again and once started stalled every now and again on my drive home!!

I have no idea about the MX6's and was hoping someone could help me out with my problem.

I thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like your distributor. I know thats a common problem with high mileage KL V6s,(if your car has a KL). Happened to me twice. I def think there have been more than one post about this on the site though.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Could be your dist, the ignition module is known to fail check to see if there is spark.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just found that one of the distributor bolts was very loose, i'll tighten it back up and see if that cures my problems!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Possibly, but that sounds like an ignitor failure.

BASICALLY, there is this little microchip inside your distributor that tells the coil when to fire. That chip, is a POS, and likes to die. Usually from heat. Was it hot outside? Probably. Sounds like you are an aussie, and it's nearly summer there I recon.

You can either get a new distributor. I have an extra re manufactured one I never used if you really need it, or if you are any good with your hands, wire in an external chip made by GM. HERE is how to do that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Just replaced the distributor and still have the same problem!!!!!

Going to check the leads tomorrow to see if they are all sparking!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts