Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that the throttle body and fuel injectors need cleaning pretty badly, and I changed an 02 sensor the other day but why all of a sudden is the engine sputtering and losing power when the CEL is off but the second it comes on it seems to run fine. I have the pedal floored and the RPMs are barely over 2500 while its sputtering and if I stop the car shuts off and wont start again for several attempts. But if I stop while the CEL is lit then it won't sputter and die. What is going on?? I'm going to have the TB and FI's cleaned as soon as possible but is something else going on here? Also there's a lot of grey smoke (carbon i guess) behind me when I'm driving whilst its sputtering but seems to not release as much when the CEL light kicks in and it smooths out. Also had a full tune up done the other day, could it be a complication from that?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would start simple by checking to make sure that all the wires are going to the right spark plugs and are right on the dist cap. What kind of gas are you using? you might want to switch to a gas with ethenol in it, it will help to keep your system clean and absorbs water. For now I would at least pour a can of injector cleaner into your gas for a start. Have you read the code that the car is giving you? That also might be a good place to start. Well good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I use 93 octane, I've got some injector cleaner in there now which is the only reason I made it home. I guess I better teach myself how to read the CEL, but if I had to guess I'd say it's from the other 02 sensor since both had to be changed. I'm going to take to the garage that did the tune up after I get the TB and FI done at Mazda where the car is near right now. Thanks.

I guess the big question on my mind is could the losing power and stalling be simply due to the carbon clogged Throttle body and Fuel Injectors worsening, because it drove fine the day before, why would it all of a sudden manifest itself in such a way, if its seems more likely that the tune job went bad maybe I should try to go there first?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts