Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a new engine from corksport. I looked at the KL-ZE 2.5 V6 and the 1.8 4 cylinder with a turbo. My question is will the 4 cylinder work with the stock Manual tranny? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
now i don't know much about the 6 as some of these other guys but when doing a swap, the only tranny problem you need to worry about is if you're putting a larger stronger engine in and the ZE as far as i know, no one has had to replace the tranny.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V6. Looking for a little more hp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got mine from usedengines.com and have had great results. Much cheaper than Corksport even though corksport is a safer choice. Don't look at the 4 cyl if you have a KL-03. You should go with a ZE it will make a night and day difference. Also a thing to think about is that corksport will reprogram your ecu as part of the price of the engine. I didn't go with them to get my engine because of $$ and all the other things that I had to buy to go with it. i.e. clutch, waterpump, timingbelt, motor mounts, etc. I will have them reprogram my ecu later but since it runs fine without it being reprogramed I figured I could wait to get that done.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would not bother buying the chip. I have seen dyno's with and without the j spec ecu. The stock ecu actually had slightly more hp and quite a bit more torque. The only diffenence is that the vris points are slightly higher than stock. Save your money and buy some more efective mods, like an intake and headers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4 vs. 6

The only reason I was looking at the 4 cylinder is because it puts out 10 more hp than the KL-ZE. Here is the actual engine: 1.8L T4cyl (BPturbo) w/approx 210 HP (from GTR)

G

·
Compatible Tranny

I have a I4 2.0 and I really want to get the KL-ZE. Would my transmission work with the KL-ZE or would I have to upgrade that. Also What else would I have to change upgrading to the V6? Thanks.

G

·
hey zar would that 1.8 turbo work for a 2.0? If any body else can help answer that be cool. But for the question before me ive heard its to damn expensive to go from 4 to v6. Something about the way our (4) banger sit(enginge wise) compared to the v6. (i think)? Let me know if im wrong though.

G

·
So what would be the difference between klo3 and the 1.8turbo. power and effient wise. Mx6-boy do you happen to know whicharticle/month that was in? Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
well, a 4 is usually more efficient than a six. as for power, look at the numbers, 210 vs. 164. i would think that GTR would have prepped the block and all that fun stuff to handle the pressure from the turbo (so you don't have to worry about your engine blowing up). i would love to do an engine swap someday and i've seriously considered gtr 1.8 turbo over the ZE. i don't know though, still haven't done any research.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts