Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, i am in need of some help. I am really close in getting an engine swap. I have a 93 mx-6 4cylinder and wanted to get the fsze. I was told by this guy who is going to swap it that they make a turbo engine for the 6. Does anyone know anything about this? What do you guys recommend I should do? should i just go with the fsze? thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They don't make a turbo engine for a 3rd Gen MX-6. Go with the FSZE it'll be a world of difference compared to what you have now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what i thought too but when he told me that it got me all excited. Do you know if i could put a turbo kit on it? I heard that you couldn't put the boost that high b/c of the higher comp. ratio.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
You can turbo it but you'll be limited to how much boost you can run, maybe even as low as just a few PSI.

High static compression ratios increases the likelihood of detonation. Because of this, cylinder pressures are limited by reducing boost and running the best gas you can find. Retard the ignition timing under boost and water injection systems can also help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the turbo on the fsze make a big difference though hp wise? Would i be better off just keeping my stock engine and putting on a turbo kit? Also would anyone know how much torque i will get with the fsze?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
if you can afford a ZE and a turbo, youre beter off building an engine and customing a turbo.

lower compression pistons, better rods, do the head up a little.
youll have to custom a turbo header and find a turbo for it. no one makes a kit for it AFAIK.

or you can just build a N/A engine. im trying to pull 250WHP out of my FS01 (im wont be trying to pass emissions, however).

Erock1 is putting 211 HP to the front wheels.

turbo or ZE. not a good idea to do both...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i thinks its a guy with a ZE and a SC on it. its on a Probe and he has a web site. i will find it and post it!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
SC is different. but the only SCs for the FS are in prototype stage right now...

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you need an engine or an engine rebuild I'd go with the FSZE. This way you would be giving your car a lot of extra horsies right there. Then if you want to put a turbo in it just put some lower compression pistons in it and Turbo the FSZE. The only reason that it's not recommended to turbo a ZE is because of the high compression. I'm thinking of rebuilding my ZE with lower compression pistons and turboing it. A ZE with lower compression would be the best engine turbo package that you could have. Yes, better than putting a turbo on the engine you have now. However, it just comes down to how much you want to spend to make your car go faster.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am going to do the same as you I also have a 4cly 6,and I WILL be getting a FS-ZE but My plan is to tear it down and bullet proof the bottom lower compression and add on a knight turbo kit with the 20G turbo.Will be buying the engine soon while my 4cyl is still runing good and take my time, Do it right and put the best equipment in there.Then after its all done its party time.Turbo FS-ZE. Yeah Baby.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I have one more question. I'm looking to get the fsze from japan direct b/c it is a lot cheaper than corksport. Is there a reason why it is soo much cheaper?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, that is japan directs site. I was just wondering why it is soo much cheaper than corksport.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
civickiller said:
I am going to do the same as you I also have a 4cly 6,and I WILL be getting a FS-ZE but My plan is to tear it down and bullet proof the bottom lower compression and add on a knight turbo kit with the 20G turbo.Will be buying the engine soon while my 4cyl is still runing good and take my time, Do it right and put the best equipment in there.Then after its all done its party time.Turbo FS-ZE. Yeah Baby.
why not just build the FS01? why spend the extra on the ZE? the blocks are the same, and if youre adding a turbo, youll have to mod your head anyways.

tune everything right and you can supplement the turbo with a smaller shot of NOS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think i'm just gonna go with the fsze. I'm not looking to get a turbo right now, i'm just tryin to think ahead. I have 130,000 miles on my engine right now and it seems like a better idea to get a new engine with lower miles and a big difference in horsepower. What is a good price for an engine swap? I went to apg performance and they will do it for a 1,000. is this a good price? let me know. thanks everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts