Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I f i had alot of money to spend on my mx-6 I wanted to know how much would it cost to drop a RX-7 single turbo into my mx-6. I'm talking about changes to the drivetrain, converting from a auto to a six-speed, and the whole nine yards. I just wanted to see how much this full conversion cost with an unlimited amount of funds.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Icey23 said:
I f i had alot of money to spend on my mx-6 I wanted to know how much would it cost to drop a RX-7 single turbo into my mx-6. I'm talking about changes to the drivetrain, converting from a auto to a six-speed, and the whole nine yards. I just wanted to see how much this full conversion cost with an unlimited amount of funds.
Never been done that I know of. So there's no real number to throw out. Tons of custom fab needing to be done. All that said, I'd guess, very conservatively, 10 grand, at least. For that kind of money you could buy an FD. Or turbo your 6, swap in a 5 speed, and have tons of cash left. It's a dumb idea. I'm not going to bother with any more details.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
g

i dont think dumb since u have spend alot of money. When i want customize my car i want it to be something nobody ever did with a 6. I think its stupid to customize your car when it has the same engine and the same apperance of all the cars in its class. I believe if you really want a custom car it cant be the same as all the other cars that are the same model. It has to be different and has to stick out of the rest of the crowd.

·
Registered
689 Posts
if you want to be that unique... then get a VW beetle and put in a ligenfelter twin turbo ls1.... that'd be unique. I think swapping to any engine that isnt all that special to begin with isn't all that unique, just shows you have lots of time and money. Sticking a boat motor into a car, that's unique. lol.

Anyways before this goes off into another world, i'd say about 20k could land you what you want. You're going FWD > RWD.. ATX > MTX (six speed at that).. and changing basically.... everything.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
CRiZO said:

Anyways before this goes off into another world, i'd say about 20k could land you what you want. You're going FWD > RWD.. ATX > MTX (six speed at that).. and changing basically.... everything.
And ending up with a powerplant that's not all that amazing to begin with. I'm sorry. It's dumb.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2nd gen MX-6 is a unibody right?

You would have better luck finding a damaged FD and custom mounting the '6 body to it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Baja Wes said:
in australia the following has been done in drag cars;

* 13B RWD probe
* 20B RWD probe
* 20B RWD MX6

Trust me when I say there isn't much probe or MX6 left at the end of the process.
And I'll bet it cost a pretty penny as well. It's a decent idea, until you actually think for a moment how much work is involved. There are far better ways to mod your Probe/6.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I dont think having an idea is stupid even if it seems "far-fetched". Hell if you want to make your a RWD monster than with all support- GO FOR IT!

It may cost a pretty penny like mentioned timed over again and again. So what?! Have the cash? It's foolish-no way! You do something you like and it makes you happy so do it gladly.

I know that you can make a nice peppy ride with 3k dollars if you are going for FI that is. But thats to say the leaste-how do you spend your money is totally up to you.

Than again, i wouldn't mind building a RWD mx6 myself. Possibly using doner parts from a mustang(96 5.0) and swapping everything over excluding the ford motor that is:)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Don't know how much it would cost ya, but go for it! Hey, if I had lost of green lying around I would be driving around a Mazda MX-6 RB26DETT hybrid! Hahaha... Don't let anyone else tell you what you should do. Be original!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Nakano_Kid said:
Don't know how much it would cost ya, but go for it! Hey, if I had lost of green lying around I would be driving around a Mazda MX-6 RB26DETT hybrid! Hahaha... Don't let anyone else tell you what you should do. Be original!
Hey I'm all about swaps. But I just am big on waving the reality flag every once in awhile. I had a friend determined to make the best mudding truck around. He took his Nissan hard body and a Ford 302 (I believe, It was a Ford engine at least.) We all told him he was wasting his time. Well 9 months later it was on the road. Everything is custom. Motor mounts, axles, suspension, frame work, mods to the tranny to make it fit his engine. It's an amazing truck. But he also worked at least 3 hours a night for months. He didn't even have time to hang out with his friends.
It's a cool project. And I give him some serious credit. But the only reason it was even vaguely affordable is due to him having full access to a machine shop and being able to do 99% of the work himself.

Yeah, a RWD 6 would be cool. Just seems like there are cooler ways to spend your money. :shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts