Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there Im doing some research on the 1st gen mx6 bcuz im debating on which car i want to buy...... Im camparing this car to an MK3 Toyota Supra which I would buy if I dont see alot of pontential in the mx6's engine bay...
what are the most common mx6 motor swaps, how much power can I expect from these swaps, and please do remember that im more intrested in power than anything else...
ps im a college student so id also appreciate price quotes...

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Yes get the supra.

There have been some high HP mx6/626/probes. Do a search for FE3 or Fe DOHC

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
rebel2k4 said:
Yes get the supra.

There have been some high HP mx6/626/probes. Do a search for FE3 or Fe DOHC
One such # is Fallguy, running an FE3 and some turbo (PT52 or something like that). He put down 407whp I think and ran an 11.7 1/4mi. I may be off by a bit but those are the approx. #'s, If you search for his user name you will find him.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
hehe, that part was fun to modify into there. I got it out of some Ford in the junkyard that had a cup/coin holder that when you push the button it slides out. I had to modify it to fit but it does work and is functional. It will block my stereo if I have a cup in there though, but that's it. My shifter is perfectly clear of it. I had to use a Ford Radio removal tool to get it out as it does have the stupid little prongs that hold it in. I used my aftermarket stereo install kit I already had in the car to mount the cupholder. It took some work and some cutting of it, and the coin part doesn't work b/c I had to put screws through it to hold it in.
I also removed the little slot that was in the console and moved it down one. I had two (maybe from the stereo install kit, I dunno), the bottom one from the factory was beat to death from the last owner trying to mount something in it and cutting it open but he broke it when he did it. I used the other one I had and cut it to fit the ProfecB in there and it didn't break.
I can look around next time I am at the junkyard and find out what car(s) it came from, or you can. It was a Ford or Mercury, probably an older Taurus/Sable, as in pre-ovalized too (the ones that have ovals every f*ckin where).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the same thing, Older Taurusii (Heh, plural taurus? :D :D :D) have a DIN sized cup holder, I put mine under the radio.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
lol i got one too, out of a sable. it likes to fall out though on mine. I shaved it a little too much

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i saw one for sale for $900, its a 160,000+miles turbo edition with fading paint and dmaged interior...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
xxleasxx said:
i saw one for sale for $900, its a 160,000+miles turbo edition with fading paint and dmaged interior...
Please explain! The current topic is cupholders, if you are talking about a cup holder for $900 i hope it had a NICE sized diamond in the bottom of it. Mileage also doesnt really matter on a cupholder, just the spilleage meter.

If its a car, please tell us whether its a MX6 or a MK3 supra. Both have turbo editions.

~aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rcoolb2002 said:
Please explain! The current topic is cupholders, if you are talking about a cup holder for $900 i hope it had a NICE sized diamond in the bottom of it. Mileage also doesnt really matter on a cupholder, just the spilleage meter.

If its a car, please tell us whether its a MX6 or a MK3 supra. Both have turbo editions.

~aaron
the only reason why i was considering an mx6 over supra is because its so much cheaper, i was offered one for $900... The supra would cost me around $5000 so thats why i wanted to see the different motor swaps because i mightv have to change the motor in this car...

·
Registered
248 Posts
the supra has more tuning potenial but you will pay for it as you have seen with the 5000 for the supra and 900 for the mx6.

if you get the supra look at getting rid of the factory turbos and put on a big single and the engine you want in it is a 2jz-gte with cams and the single turbo you can get up 800hp.

with the mx6 their is not a very good after market for it and any serious power would require stand alone engine management with the fe3 wich are getting hard to come by but if you can find one then look at spending $800 - $2000 for the engine ecu and vic's all depending on the source.
for the stock mx6 with out a stand alone and if every thing is in good working order you can get up to 220hp with a bigger turbo, intake, 2.5inch exhaust, ecu chip, intercooler up grade, fuel pump.

you can get more out of the the f2t but it will cost more and our biggest restriction is the stock ecu and vane air flow meter and the wierd voltage scale used by both so if your hoping to get the any fuel control computers from hks or Apex-i they will not work unless you make a voltage scale for it t read properly.

there will probly be some flaming on me for this reply for my facts might be a little off but so far it is better than any other post's that i have seen on this thread.
but i will leave it up to you to decide what to listen to.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have to disagree with most of what you said there Dylan. MKIII supras did not have a twin turbo setup. single turbo only. the only thing that is really holding those back is there head gasket. and that wont start to play a role until your somewhere in the area of 350 - 400hp which is not hard at all to accomplish from the MKIII. other than that the MKIII is just as much a beast as the MKIV.

for financial reasons which most of the time is the name of the game i would go for the mx6. if you picked one up for 900 and did some good modifying and a motor swap you could hand a mkIII supra its ass. IMO. with a motor swap, bigger intercooler, newer turbo, and a standalone engine management i think you could come out cheaper than a supra.

just my .02

Adam

·
Registered
248 Posts
yes needagt i was wrong found out after i posted thank you for pointing that out.:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
YOU GUYS DONT KNOW ABOUT SUPRA!! I OWNED A 89 SUPRA TURBO. IT WAS GREAT TILL I HAD TO SELL IT[DAMN IT]AND YES THE JDM VERSION OF MK3 CAME TWIN TURBO 1JZ WITH C 12'S TURBOS.THE J-SPEC SUPRA HAD 280 HP STOCK . IT IS CAPABLE OF 550 HP NO FORGED INTERNALS.7MGTE MOTOR COULD SEE NEARLY 400+ HP WITH STOCK INTERNALS. IF U WANNA GET CLOSE TO 400 HP WITH 7MGTE THIS IS WHAT U GOTTA DO:METAL HEADGASKET,550 INJECTORS,LEXUS V8AFM,BOOST CONTORLLER, 3 INCH EXAUST SYSTEM,Stock coated pistons, balanced rotating assembly, shot peened rods, weight matched rods, stock crank, Toyota bearings and rings,550 cc injectors, Walbro high pressure 255lph pump,STOCK TURBO ITS OPTIONAL U COULD PUT A BIGGER WHEEL TO THE CT26 60:1 OR A 63:1 IF U WANNA KNOW MORE PLZ GO TO THE WWW.7MPOWER.COM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts