Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
just test drove an mx-6 that i'm dying to get. Everything was going great (just needs a few cosmetic touches) until i noticed a metallic engine tapping sound when i was idealing. I pulled into a parking lot and threw open the hood. I pinpointed the location to be between the rear of the engine block and the exhaust cams. (the car is a I-4, 1994) I looked at consumer guide and they said that there are some trouble spots, and this is one of them ...
"Engine noise: A metallic tapping noise from the rear of the engine could be due to slippage between the exhaust-camshaft driven gear and friction gear. (1993-95)"
Could this be the problem? What do you guys think. how serious is this. I didn't notice any rpm jumps or anything, just an annoying tapping.
Thanks so much for your time guys, hit me back soon.
- Glenn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jon,
I live in Waukesha, a few miles west of Milwaukee. But i go to college up at uw-oshkosh.
I'm new to everything cars and stuff, I have no clue what you mean by HLA or HLA'S. Sorry i'm so illiterate to all this.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Basically there are a couple or components that cause the tick .. none are any more than a noise (usually).. the most common one is usually fixed up by putting in the correct oil (mobile one or similar thin fully synthetic oil) and in the most severe cases you may have to do an engine flush , either a mass-produced one or a 50/50 mix of kerosene and oil..
But b4 going down that path just do an oil change.. and if you use the search function on the web sight for say ticking or tapping or hla (Hydraulic Lash adjusters).. you will find a tone of info..
Good luck..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.