Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a week now there has been a tick coming from my engine. It was quiet at first, then it got louder. I brought it to my mechanic and he asked if i was racing it after seeing fast and the furious... no i always race it. Anyway, he listened to it then just put in a quart or so of marvel mystery oil. He said to call him back in 100 miles. He didn't say what he thinks it was, but my friend then said that it may have been a sticky valve. Im just wondering what you guys would think, and would this be a big problem if the tick continue? and if i need to get it fixed, how much would you think it'd cost. Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
I had a similar experience, and thought it might be the valves. In the end, it was just that the puller feeding the alternator had come a bit loose. Two tightened bolts later, I was laughing.

That said, it could be about a thousand things, but the pulley is an easy one to eliminate. If the ticking is happenning at idle speeds, idle the car, pop the hood, and apply preasure to the pulley, if ticking fades, you found your culprit.

Goodluck,
Serapth

94 Mx6 2.5L

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sounds like noisy HLA's. An oil change w/ a synthetic blend or full synthetic 5W30 should quiet it down. Lots of the KL03 guys swear by Mobil 1 to help with this. Using a good oil with frequent changes (3K) will help with this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts