Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used a product called slik-50 or Dura-lub.
It's an additive for the engine. If so is it worth using, and how often should I use it?

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I think most guys will give you the same advice.
Dont use any of the additives rather use you $ on a decent oil like mobil 1.

·
Registered
483 Posts
hi,

Don't use those...I have heard that they aren't effective to take out the carbon deposits out of valves and stuff like that. Go for Chevron Techron every 10,000 miles...you don't need to use it every 3,000 because if you are running super in your car...then do it every 10,000. Add it in just before your oil change and then get your oil change.

Anthony

·
Registered
475 Posts
When I first bought my car, I put in engine restorer when I got my oil changed. I haven't noticeda difference but hey i figured it couldn't hurt when it comes to helping my engine live longer.
Also those guys make a good point about using fuly synthetic oils but every 10k miles? I dont know about that...

·
Registered
579 Posts
When I owned my Rabbit, it was overheating bad. I used Duralube oil treatment, and it helped a lot, and it ran a little better too. I haven't bothered using it again, cuz I don't know if it's compatable with Mobil 1, or any synthetic for that matter. Everyone I've asked has told me they don't know, and it doesn't say anything on the bottle. As far as it goes for using Fuel System treatments, I went for the Chevron Techron, but they were sold out, and I bought the Duralube stuff. It didn't do anything noticeable. If you're looking for stuff to use for the injectors, definately go with the Chevron Techron..from what I hear, it's the best.

[Edited by asso on 03-22-2001 at 03:39 PM]

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Additives

Concerning the use of additives, and the risk of clogging up tiny HLA oil channels & numerous oil passages, some are surprised to learn that oil is ironically a rather good lubricant all by itself and doesn't need diluting with the latest "additive". "

This statement came right out of the following website:
http://www.bradbury.cwc.net/probemx/index.htm

Excellent site for info on our engines... check it out!

Peter

·
Banned
55 Posts
oil additives.. aka snake oils. stay away, especially for KL engines. hla's are very tiny and prone to clog. use mobil1 5W/30 or delvac1 5W/40, it has enough detergents and additives. oil additives make false claims. search for slick50 at about.com, you'll see many articles.

gas additives.. some are good, some are useless. use synthetic, not solvent based products. Chevron Techron (pepboys, napa, walmart, supertrak) and Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner (pepboys) are the best. they don't dilute your oil. use whenever you hear the carbon knock or every 3k-5k. 10k should be also OK if you don't make short trips and stop&go traffic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts