Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the check engine light on my '89 Mx6 GT has been coming on and off periodically. I used mazdamx6pwr.com's website which was extremely useful to determine the trouble code to be #3. (Three short blinks then off for a period of time then repeats.) According to the code sheet the problem lies in the cylinder identification sensor A not producing a signal. Therefore the engine should be shutting off, which it is not.

The engine has been running fine except that at speeds around 60mph and 2500 rpm in 5th gear, manual tran., the car tends to sputter almost like it is misfiring. It doesn't do this very often only every 50 miles or so and when it has been traveling at the constant speed around 60 for a long period of time. Also it only does it once for a brief second then it is fine. I gave the car a complete tune up 2000 miles ago which included new NGK wires and plugs, and since it doesn't do this all the time I don't think that it is the plugs.

Are these two problems interrelated and what exaclty is going on? Any help or guidance you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jared

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The first problem sounds like it may get a bad read every now and then. I would clear the codes and see how soo it re-appears.

The second issue sounds like the egr is getting stuck open every now and then. It needs to be cleaned; replaced or blocked. Do a search to find out how to do this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts