Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Move over Zorb...

Just got a letter from the EPA today (openned it right as I was reading Zorb's thread about the EPA even). Turns out I won't have to go to Macleod, as it was only a 'member of the public' who reported me. The citation basically says i've got a smoky exhaust, and that I should see someone about it before the police bust me.

So my question is: 1. wtf can I do to reduce smoke on acceleration? My car burns oil, but short of finding the leak I seriously doubt there's anything I can do. (would an atf flush, kero flush help? change gaskets? anything?)

I think havaing a *rice* cannon doesn't help, I wouldv'e thought they would have cited me on noise too. A stock muffler that points down might be a good idea to reduce the obviousness of smoke to all those behind me.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
whay you can do, is keep away from chapel and copshops....;)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
member of public cant actual report you they can make a complaint but nothin happens it basically serves as a warning so if you keep getting reported then they send you to get tested..also remember you dont usually go to macleod for a first offense its usually to one on the listed exhaust joitn who can do all the required tests...so if you have been reported by a member of the public you've been reported more than once (be wary usually means their is an asshole neighbour in your street) who either doesnt like you your car or whatever and has reported you numerous times *lol* anyhow would a different weight of oil help???

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
As Zorb said, try heavier oil ...

... but also check your PCV valve, as if you're pumping oil into your IM you're going to be burning it in your combustion chamber :p

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
maybe for the day add an additive to ur oil.
but yeah some hpr40 should do the trick! HAHAHA. ur engine will ahrdly turn over, that shits like mud

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Hmm ... hpr40 could cause engine damage - try something with a base of 20 or 25W oil ... as with 40W you'll definately cause damage to your lifters as they won't get any oil!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, thanks for the tips guys. The citation noted a location on it, so I'm thinking it wasn't a neighbour, because I was actually at the location on the day in question. So I'm thinking it was some dizzle motorist behind me when I dumped some smoke on him. Either way, like Zorb said, it's not an official EPA warning or anything, just a "recomendation". I'm just pissed because my car's been blowing smoke for two years now, it always has, always will ("I ain't payin' for no rebuild!"); and the EPA wants to kindly tell me to do something about it.

Anyway, I'll get onto the PCV this weekend, do an oil and filter change to something a bit heavier (welcome back HLA noises), and see how I go.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
silly idiots...

thicker oil wont help if he is burning oil... its due to your rings/valve stem seals / engine blowby. one of those will be causign your excessive blue smoke.

FYI my car blows little blue smoke on decel from no cat. i went from HRP15 i thinkit is ? 15w60 to 10w40 Super S MoBil and i hardly ever use oil now since the change ive used about 0 mls lol.. i do have a HLA tick in mornigs but id rather have the slight tick then i would havinging to spend $50 on oil to top my car up between services.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
hold up there isnt that why you add the addative stop smoke?? and if you read the back it says use with a heavier weight oil than usual?? maybe im wrong but...i stopped a smoky exhaust with stop smoke and a heavier oil which i continue to use

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
ok, I'm confused...

Is your car blowing smoke because you are burning oil, or because you are dumping fuel straight out the exhaust?

If it is fuel, then I don't think you have much to worry about. Nor, much you can do. I don't know how they test it. But if they just leave it at constant revs, then your car should be fine. Especially if it is not boosting :) I would just check to see if you leave it in neutral and rev it if any smoke comes out.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
yeah good point trip, if its on acceleration, good chance its just the ecu being over protective and dumping more fuel than needed.

yeah, they would have to do it in neutral. that cant exactley do it in gear in a workshop. lol i can just see a tx5 going thru a wall.

and yeah u wont be boosting in neutral.

so yeah tell us if its oil burning or fuel

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[email protected] and Tripharn:

Thanks for the thoughts. Put it in neutral and had a rev just then... it's dumping fuel o accel, the exhaust is dripping with it after a bout of idle-3000 revving. And there's residue on the pavement behind it which suggests to me it is fuel... I'm not game enough to test with a lighter.

The most smoking happens on decel though, it seems to dump a heap whenever the revs fall.

My PCV valve is working fine, it only flows one way and it seems solid. Looks to be a recently replaced part too (from before I bought it). SO I'm sticking with the heavier oil and a filter change.

I usually run 20W-50, then top it up with magnatec as it burns off. I know this sound stupid. But as the oil cycles through the engine, it gets heavier and heavier as it fills up with goup, and also because it burns off there's less of it to flow around. So my theory is, if I top up with Magnatec (10W-40), this should balance (lighten) it out, and it also has reliably eliminated tappet noises time after time.

So I think I'll go for a change to all 20w-50 and run some "stop-smoke" type product as well.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
yep, agreed trip.
i found my richness also came down to my ignition system, i used to get slight backfires with my old leads (stockies) that had done 170,000k's changed them and no more backfires, its a little wierd but it worked.

try resetting ur ecu also if it hasnt beend one in a while

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tripharn said:
If it is fuel, I don't know how changing oil would fix much... good luck though
Good point. I'm not going to try and fix my fuel problems at this point. It's mainly the smokiness on decel I want to reduce. And it makes sense that the lighter oil I put in to reduce hla noises would be part of the problem. I'll see how I go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts