Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive a 94 mx6 4cyl. atx w/ 53000. after the car is warmed up, the idle drops down to around 660. sometimes it will go even lower than that and fluctuate. it feels like it's about to stall (and it has done it twice). so far i've replaced the fuel filter, air filter, oil & oil filter, and spark plugs. the prob. is still there. any suggestions? thanx

·
Registered
240 Posts
I could use some help with this as well. This started happening to me after I replaced my battery, and I read that it was natural and that the car would re-learn its idle speed after a few days of driving. I drove around for a week and it still doesn't idle at the right RPM. When I stop it is usually around 5-600 and sometimes it goes up to 750 where it belongs and sometimes it fluctuates lower. It has also stalled a few times. Is there something else I need to do to get it to idle correctly or do I just need to give it more time?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
4-cyl owners that suffer driveability issues like this might want to check out the MAF sensor. Remove it from the car and give the sensing elements (visible through the little sampling tube hole) a few careful sprays with some aerosol brake cleaner. You might have to remove the screen from the front of the MAF before doing this. Be careful not to touch the elements or spray too hard; just enough to remove the gunk.

The sensing elements can get dirty from road grime and spooge and get coated, making them less sensitive to air flow. Brake cleaner should do a good job of cleaning them without leaving a petroleum residue.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IAC & MAF

thanx for the replies and i plan to check it as soon as possible. Mike 94PGT- how can i get to the MAF? BIGPOPPAPOPE- how do i get to the IAC and what should i clean it with?

·
Registered
921 Posts
You should get a manual so when these very smart guys tell you to check this certain part out, you can look and see what part they are talking about and go OOOOO ic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts