Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All ( Ya borked the spelling in the title)

Just a short FYI to show you the difference in cut off between the Espec RHD and LHD models.

I just go my new Espec's from Germany and installed them last night. Now, maybe silly me, I was expecting the cutoff for LHD to be the exact opposite as the UK RHD version. Well the pictures speak for them self below.

I want to be clear that I am NOT unhappy with the new LHD Especs. I am very surprised that the UK cutoff is significantly sharper.

My headlights are almost aligned properly, and at 5+ Meters, the cutoffs ___/ do almost merge.

So are the LHD ESpecs still worth the investment? I say yes. If you are not dying for a perfect solid cutoff and but want the insane light output of Especs, then Yes - go buy them!

I may be tempted to bake them and pry'em apart to see how the cutoffs are really set compared to my old Especs.

RHD Cutoff Example (5000K HID)

LHD CutOff Example (5000K HID)

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
do the comparison properly with halogen bulbs, as the projectors are designed for halogen bulbs, not HID. Both patterns are craptacular with huge amounts of glare and hotspots.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zach. You do make a point. The reflector bowl could be different between the two of them

I do want to make state that with the UK Espec's I was running for the last year, there was no hot spots or weird glares. I have a hunch that the reflector bowl might have something to do with this. Because the LHD ones are giving me some of what you've described.

I will be baking one of them in the next day or so to see what the guts look like.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I have halogen's (H3C's) in my 626 jspec's and they work fucking great. I much prefer the jspec/dot cutoff to the EDM cutoffs...but I have a set of E55 with ZKW-R clear lenses waiting to go in them :)

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zach. For S's and giggles before I bake them, I will chuck in a h1 halogen bulb to see what the output is like. I've looked at the e55 lenses - nifty idea.

Still, the part that has left me very curious about is why the cutoff and light output is FAR better with the UK Espec vs the Germany LHD editions. Only baking them will find out for sure what the guts are. That is my project after work tomorrow. Will report back with the details.

·
Registered
271 Posts
But why would he get the true cut off from the german set whilst getting awesome results from the espec? makes no sense since all that should be diff is the internal angle of the cutoff.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Alright folks here is the answer

Below is (left) RHD cut off and the (right) is the LHD Cutoff

The basic issue is that the way the LHD cut off is made it takes away light vs the RHD version.

For the LHD, if they started the cutoff/slope a bit more past the center - that would have given more light, vs being blocked.

Zack:

The bulb sits ok in both housings. I moved the reflector bowl around to test and see if there were any mounting issues.... none.
The way the RHD cut off is made = best light output
LHD = very good output, but again, like I mentioned above. If you want a crisp cutoff mod or put a totally different cutoff system.

Either way. I am happy with the light output. Even with the odd hot spot (with is a total non issue when driving on the open road - only super close field or up against a wall you see it) The light output compared to ASpec Headlights is 100 times better.

I have a wife who's not giving me shit for being on my third pair set of Especs and am not interested in [fizzle]ing up this pair. (Second pair was for resale but arrived damaged...)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I want the other set!! :p

My A-spec's are horrid, they need a scrubbing and perhaps retrofitted projectors... or i'm going to just invest in more Jspecs.

But really... i'd be interested in your E's!

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shaundizzle.

Thanks for the interest, but I am gonna keep them for spare parts. They've also been chewed up because I had an hid ballast blow on me and it super heated the base of the bulb and melted in the housing.

If you are ready to pony up some decent money (170-200 euros) I have someone who could sell you a pair of ESpec LHD from Germany.

I will be posting one more shot tonight of the HID LHD. I've done some more alignment and they do look better than the prior posts.

basically they look like this now - stole this from a bmw forum

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u305/j222gray/DSC_0492.jpg

·
Registered
482 Posts
shaundizzle.

Thanks for the interest, but I am gonna keep them for spare parts. They've also been chewed up because I had an hid ballast blow on me and it super heated the base of the bulb and melted in the housing.

If you are ready to pony up some decent money (170-200 euros) I have someone who could sell you a pair of ESpec LHD from Germany.

I will be posting one more shot tonight of the HID LHD. I've done some more alignment and they do look better than the prior posts.

basically they look like this now - stole this from a bmw forum

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u305/j222gray/DSC_0492.jpg
That could be a worthy endeavor, what is the possability of getting those shipped to Alaska? We should do business! :tup: Anyways, just PM me; I don't want to jack your thread!

Awesome pics though, the cutoff looks great with 5000k's, that's what my new set will be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts