Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a thread about this that was already made so I guess I'll start one.
What do you guys think of gasohol? I have been putting gas with 10% ethenol in my 94 ls for a while now and I havn't had any problems, gas mileage seems to be up too (thought it could also have somthing to do with the higher octane). I figure that the higher octane is the same as the lower and it is good for the American economy.
Anyway, I'm just a dumb kid, what do you guys have to say?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
its a good cheap alternative to race fuel, but i doubt that mx6's would really benefit from it that much. I know people who do similar stuff using products like torlene for grand prixs. they ussually have good results

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just though Ethyl Alcohol was added to:

a) Lower Emissions
b) A diluent that takes up space
I also think that it might lower gas milage, as it does not provide the same amount of energy as, let's say, a octane hydrocarbon. I still say that nitrogen should be the molecule that should be harvested for energy. It's the most abundent atom on this planet, and there are bacteria that can transform a unreactive Nitrogen compound into a very reactive compound that yields a good amount of work.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Caleb said:
I couldn't find a thread about this that was already made so I guess I'll start one.
What do you guys think of gasohol? I have been putting gas with 10% ethenol in my 94 ls for a while now and I havn't had any problems, gas mileage seems to be up too (thought it could also have somthing to do with the higher octane). I figure that the higher octane is the same as the lower and it is good for the American economy.
Anyway, I'm just a dumb kid, what do you guys have to say?
Gas mileage is reduced. Ethanol has quite a bit less specific energy than gasoline.

All modern fuel systems can deal with a 10 percent blend, which is now required by law in many places in the winter as a replacement for stuff like MMT.

More than 10% and you start to run into problems with some fuel system components. Also, keep in mind that ethanol is hygroscopic, that is it attracts and absorbs water from the atmosphere.

For certain types of race cars it isn't a bad fuel. It has some safety issues though....ever see an alcohol fuel fire? Right...you don't see it, you just see the guy running away in pain because he's covered in burning fuel.

Reactions: mx6dave
1 - 5 of 5 Posts