Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to place a speaker in the rear seat
area of a 93+ Mx6 where the side armrests are currently located? I dont know if there is enough room or a way to rip some of that out... Just curious

G

·
0 Posts
Funny you should ask! I was just thinking that the other day when I was cleaning the windows! (Why else would I be in the back seat?.............alone!) If anyone has an idea, please let us know!

Thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
that's a funny coincidence

I bought my 6 when it had less than 9,000 K on it. But I didn't realize it was equipped. The previous owner had done just that, he had put 5.25 speakers in those locations. It is practically invisible because of the custom grill cloth covering the holes, so I thought nothing of it. Till one day when I was installing an amp and saw the holes. I added rockfordfosgate components and it sounds awesome!

G

·
0 Posts
Don't do it, unless you really want to mess up your "stage"
There's no point to even having rears at all so why do it to begin with.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Well now that you asked...

Actually I have been thinking about placing subwoofers in those locations. I´ll take those factory panels out and sort out some new boxes with glas fibre and MDF. I´m pretty sure there is space enough to have 10 or 12 inchs subs boxed in quite small sealed box. I am going to do it but I dunno when this will be ready... I´ll let ya guys know and I´ll put some pics in my album when it´s ready!

Mici

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was looking into doing tha same thing. MDF and fiberglass enclosures for subs. From the measurements I took and holding subs up to the opening, it looks like a ten would fit nicely and a twelve would be a pain in the ass. Besides there are several very good tens out there that require less than one cubic foot and with enough clean power they will be loud enough to cause pain. I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You wanna put in a 10" woofer in the side panel, right underneath the side window? I don't think here's enough room.

Here's what I have

Front: 2 5X7 Rockford 3 way
2 Blaupunt door mounted (FLUSH) tweeters

Rear: 2 6X9 Rockford 3 way
2 JBL tweeters (Mounted on th emid pillars)
2 10" Rockford Subs

In all, If I put it up past 23 on my Sony CD deck, the windows will shatter!

What kinda sound do you need that you're gonna put in MORE speakers in the back seat? MY GOD!

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
There is! I'm sure!

There actually is room enough. I'm looking for Peerless 10 or 12" subs. Suggested sealed enclosures 10" 5-15 litres and 12" 10-20 litres. I think it is possible to first make a panel where is the hole for woofer. Then make the rear panel (the one that comes against the car body) from MDF or maybe from glasfibre. Then put some pieces of MDF between the front and rear panel to keep them apart. Then apply some cloth all over that "frame". And glasfibre to the outside of it. I'm sure this way I can get 10, maybe 15 litres of nicely shaped box.

You'll see it when it's done!!! :)
Mici

M

·
0 Posts
Lightrida, do you think you could post a picture of how those 5.25s are installed?

·
Registered
488 Posts
There is enough room for a pair of 8s and with some modification 10s in the side panels. It would take some work to do it but if you are good with fiberglass and MDF molding then it's doable. Hell, if I got 8s in the doors there shouldn't be any problem with them in the sides, there is lot more room.

[Edited by Greg S on 10-15-2000 at 04:01 PM]

·
Registered
305 Posts
Michael:

I wish I could post pictures of that as well as my car, but I don't have a scanner or a digital camera. Maybe I'll buy one, when the prices go down.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
I'm also planning a pair of 10" on the doors. (One for each, ofcourse). When I have those on doors and another pair in rear side panels, I think I wouldn't need that sub box in the trunk anymore. That is the idea for the whole thing. I don't like it filling my trunk; I actually don't need that space but anyway...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Unless you are planning on completely rebuilding the doors you aren't getting tens in to them. The eights where a really tight fit and I'm only using them for mid-bass. You don't ahve a lot of depth between teh window and the inner door skin.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Yes, I know that. I am planning to do the whole new pair of door panels. I have some sort of experience of that, I did doors to my last car and everyone liked them... You'll see when I'm finished with all these crazy ideas. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm actually putting the 10's in the back under the side windows this weekend. I've been scoping it out for a while now and this is the first weekend I've had to tackle the job. The whole interior's already out so it's all about installs this weekend! I've seen it done aready in an Impreza (Dan's Impreza 2.5RS Page, check it out). A little expanding foam, carve it out to make it smooth and then a layer of fiber glass and an MDF cover to hold the speaker and Bob's your unkle. I'll take some pics as I go along if you're all interested. Any suggestions you'd all have before I start would also be appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts