Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So have any of you had any problems with your AC? Like has it ever leaked inside the car or in the engine or anything? Or has it quit working and not blowing in cold air? Or has the engine overheated when using it?

Just wondering..

LaTeR...

:eek:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Mine has always been working. If your is leaking get it checked out. There is no use refilling it as it will leak again. If your car is overheating with the AC on you got a problem. The car should run cooler with the AC on since it kicks in the cooling fans. Check to see if the fans start when you enable AC.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So have you had to refill yours Pete? Do you notice a lot of loss in power when you use the AC?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
New had to refill mine (yet).

Power is lost when AC is on because of the extra load on the engine (AC Compressor).

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
ha! everything works fine on mine! compressor turns, no leaks, a little power loss, but i have the 2.0

however I CANT GET COLD AIR HAHAHAHA

im in the process of trying to fix that now.. but no clue where the problem might be. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
You are going to have a power loss no matter which engine you have because when the compressor clutch kicks in, it puts more strain on the engine which means power loss.

Turning on the AC and making the other fan turn on will not make the car run cooler. The other fan comes on because obviousley the car is running hotter with the AC on. The fans should come on when the enging gets hotter whether the AC is on or not. IF it isn't, check to see if the fan is working, check the fuses, and check the relays.

If you ever see fluid leaking inside your car, check to see what color it is. It might be antifreeze leaking from the heater core, which is behind the dash. Also, you won't see fluid leaking from under the hood. Since the freon is in vapor form, you would see a mist, the only fluid that you might see leaking is compressor oil.

If you do have a leak, get it checked. It could range from something eas to fix like a hose or bad valve core to something more complicated like the evaporator.

Also, if you are going to recharge the AC yourself, make sure you have a way to pull the system into a vacuum before recharging.

·
Registered
84 Posts
my compressor makes a funny noise when I turn on the a/c. It leaks oil and freon but it's a really slow leak so I only have to add more every few months. I see a lot of 626's and probes on the road that make the same sound though.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
MexySexy said:
So have any of you had any problems with your AC? Like has it ever leaked inside the car or in the engine or anything? Or has it quit working and not blowing in cold air? Or has the engine overheated when using it?

Just wondering..

LaTeR...

:eek:
Surely so. When I was driving an afternoon I had the a/c on, then all of a sudden I saw some smoke on the passenger's side of the engine. Seconds later the a/c blew warm to hot air. So I looked under the hood noticed that a screw on the side of the strut tower in the engine bay busted a hole into the piping which drained all of the Freon out. So I had to go to the dealer to get the replacement piping and then drove to an a/c shop to have it vacuumed and recharged wooohoooo. It's now blowing cold air again thank goodness.:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
You see, that smoke you saw wasn't smoke, it was freon in its vapor form.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Once the gas leaked out. I traced it to the flexible hose on top of the compressor.
Re fitted crimp fitting to rubber and has been “Cool” ever since…Pardon the pun.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
my ac sucks but and after nearly $500 in repairs,iwas told that is as cold as it gets for a Mazda AC!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts