Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wat up? So has anyone had to replace their front strut mounts/bushings? Mine make a popping noise when i turn the wheel. I had it checked at Mazda and they said it was the strut mounts and that it would cost over $250...... YIKES. So does anyone have any info or experiences about that?

Thanks and LaTeR...

:eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you're refering to the clicking/creaking noise from the front wheels when you're turning them either at a stop or slowly moving, then yes. The part you need replaced is called a thrust bearing I think. I had this replaced last week. The noise went away totally! The part only cost $14 from Mazda and labor including an alignment was $130. Go to this site for more info:
http://www.rs-productions.com/RSP_Motors/tech/susp-sense/bearingplate.htm

Let us know if this works for you. It did for me.
Wally

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
That is a great site, i have the same problem and it too was misdiagnosed as ball joint/control arm related.

Thanks.
Claeren.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I replaced my own strut mounts/bearings/struts last Thursday. The mounts are like $25 each and the bearings are like $8 each from the tire rack. I got the KYB brand of each.

If you have a jack, tools, and jackstands, you can safely do the job yourself. It's not that difficult.

BTW the symptoms I had were not a clicking or popping noise. Mine was binding when I turned the wheel, which is a symptom of worn strut bearings. Bad strut mounts will cause a knock. Clicking does sound more ball joint related. Have you checked to see that your CV boots are not torn as well?

Tyson

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wat up? Thanks for the good info boys. So now there are too parts? The strut bearings and the strut mounts? Then whats a thrust bearing? And ball joints are something way different, right? Ya I had my cv's checked and they are ok. I'll have everything else checked, thanks again...

LaTeR.....

:eek:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The strut mount is the part at the extreme top of the strut tower. It has the four studs formed into it that bolt the top of the strut to the car body. It's basically everything you can see on the strut tower (the black metal/rubber part).

The strut bearing is a small, flat disk that goes between the strut boot and the strut mount. I assume that since it is a bearing, it eases the rotating motion of the strut.

I am not exactly sure that both parts were bad in mine (my struts were heavily worn) but I replaced them to be safe. If your car is making a clicking noise, I doubt it is the mount.

By the way, the Tire Rack price for mounts and bearings was quite a bit cheaper than my local dealer.

You can probably jack up the front of the car and turn the wheel (with an assistant) and see if anything is jumping or clicking. You may have to do it with the wheel on the ground though, to put more load on the suspension (it may not have enough force on it to click unloaded).

E-mail me off the list and I can help you identify the parts more if you need help.

Tyson

·
Registered
92 Posts
If your cv joint/boot checks out fine and you're still hearing the clicking/creaking noise, then trust me........you need to replace the plastic bearing as described in the site I listed above. Some others here have tried this and it worked for them as well.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The thrust bearing mentioned in the noted link is indeed the "strut bearing" as KYB/the Tire Rack call it. It's a cheap part and should probably be replaced with each strut replacement just for the extra insurance and zero additional labor.

These things do indeed fail apparently.

Tyson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts