Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear some experiences from people who have bought new tires for their car. I'm trying to decide what kind of tire to buy and I'd like to hear some opinions, such as whether Z-rated makes that much difference and is worth the extra cost over quality R or H rated tires. Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have 225/40 x 18 Yokohama Paradas on my mx. They are Z rated and corner very well. I've only been able to get them to squeal around corners a couple times. They are supposed to last for 40,000 miles. I have 10,000 on them right now and they seem to be wearing pretty well. I don't really go crazy on them though, so it depends on how you're planning on driving on them. Seriously, I would recommend the Z rated tires because it makes me feel like my car is glued to the road.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i have the 215 40 17 yokohama paradas tires as well they stick to the road well and they last a good while they have a tread of 300 that is pretty good for a z rated tire, also they look cool too haha

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Maragnoni Zeta

I have Maragnoni Zeta's 235/40-17. They have awesome grip and great also on wet. BUT. They are wearing pretty hard too. Great value for money; I got 4 of these for price of 2 Michelin's or Goodyears. They're Italian tires and Z-rated.
Mici

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dunlop SP Sport W-10

I had Dunlop SP Sport W-10's in size 205-55VR-15. They had a treadwear rating of 200 and I replaced them at 22k miles and they probably could have lasted a good 5k miles or more.
They are a summer only tire, however, I got to use them last winter on ice and they weren't half bad! However, I didn't want to test my luck and try it again so I replaced them early.
The tires were great in the wet(almost never hydroplaned) and amazing on dry pavement! I was very satisfied with these and at the time they were only $64 a piece!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have pirelli velocesport P6000's. They're nice tyres and handling on dry roads is phenomenal compared to my stock ones, (goodyear i think). They do wear faster tho i think, and the wet traction is not as good as it could be, but I'm pretty satisfied.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
These are the tires I've known:

Dunlop D60 - These worked pretty good until one tire developed a defect causing the car to pull towards the side it was mounted on, so I had to keep it on the back, which made the tires wear a lot quicker becuase I couldn't rotate them anymore. Until then they were good tires. This tire has been around a long time though and is old technology so I wouldn't recommend them....lasted about 50,000 miles.

Yokohama Avid H4 - The tires I have on now. I really like these. Grip is really high. Very resistant to hydroplaning too. Haven't had them very long so I can't comment on wear...seems good so far though. Lots of people have these tires and like them. They also are priced nicely for an H rated tire.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i LOVE my SUMITOMO HTR-Z2's. beautiful straight line and cornering accelleration. take curves and exit ramps at rediculous speeds, i have NEVER heard them squeal!!! and the tread is so curved(they are directional tires) that wet traction will truly amaze you. you'd scare your passengers with how fast you pull away from a light in the rain. and it feels nice knowing that you can beat supras and vettes in the rain(and ONLY in the rain, dont get ahead of yourself). mine happen to be 235/40/ZR17. peace n chicken grease...-BLUMX6

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Old school baby!

Goodyear Eagle GS-Cs on my 94PGT, stock size (225/50-16)

Good stuff:
  • great in the rain
  • amazing dry handling
  • very quick turn in (very stiff sidewalls)
  • not too noisy on the highway
  • look good (aggressive tread, clean sidewall)

Bad stuff:
  • these tires are completely clueless in snow
  • they wear quickly
  • quite expensive to replace
  • old school technology

I'm due for new tires pretty soon. I will probably do the GS-C again because I think they're that good. Still, Yoko makes some nice rubber too :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
pirellis

Pirelli P6000's here. They're good, but seem to be wearing pretty fast. Not much snow last couple years but actually seemed mediocre in it (meaning just ok). Pretty quiet, but feel a little flex in sidewall. perhaps it's my 15" stock rims. 205/55/R15 I believe. Overall nice tire, I'll probably get the same or P7000's. Think I got them for $100 a tire, balanced, mounted, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carats

When i bought my new tires (Carat f-series 205-50Zr16), i noticed a great improvement in higher speed handling, cornering, etc. With the tires that came on my car when i bought it (15inch Firestones), I'd squeal anytime i was above 20 doing a 90deg. corner, now i can pull a 90deg. at around 35 without losing grip (I've come close though) I definately recommend Z rated, but go with something higher, my low profiles die quickly with potholes, and the warranties don't cover road hazards. I've replaced two of them already that have falled victim to a pothole sidewall tear, not fun. Good luck!

Adam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have Dunlop SP-8000's. They're very sticky on the road and I have never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
differences between rated tires

Dear mx6will,

I have been contemplating on getting pirelli p7000's which are W rated(they could go up to 168mph). I know they are only meant for summer. They have a treadware life of like 25,000 miles. Depending on your rim size,you could get the p7000 supersport AKA superexpensive they are a M+S(all season) tire. The treadware is 320 or 340 I have to check that out. i heard they are great, but don't make p7000 supersports for my stock rim size(maybe I'll get them when I mount a nice set of cromodora rims from italy).

"H" rated tires you have more comfort, less grip because of different compounds used on the tire. However,gain handling capabilities with a "V" rated tire but they run out quicker than "H" rated tires.

I had p6000 sport veloces on my old 90 mx-6 195/60/H15, they were excellent. Great in the snow, rain and dry. They do make "V" rated p6000 sport veloces, 205/55/15 with a 40,000 mile treadware life as opposed to the "H" with a 50,000 mile treadlife. Remember that p6000 sportveloce are supposedly going to be stopped in production soon. there is the p4000's which are great!!!

Cheers,

Anthony

[Edited by integrale4wd on 11-28-2000 at 12:26 PM]

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a set of Michelin Pilot XG4 V rated. I've had them on for about 5000 miles now, and I've seen no wear whatsoever. I can barely get them to squeal even when I spin them at take off. I really haven't felt anything better for wet traction, and I hear they're good in the winter too. I would check out ratings at http://www.tirerack.com . They're rated 8.6 out of 10 for dry roads. I really would buy another pair.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I also have the Dunlop SP-W10's. I think they are great. Their bald now but still perform like they were brand new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts