Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres like 3 posts on this heh.

Since my six started overheating, I pulled the head (3rd time in 6 months :p )and found the headgasket cracked in one spot, so I changed that out and am putting it back together.

Anyways, I decided to change the water pump and timing belt while I had it apart, so I grabbed my rachet and started loosening the 6 12mm bolts on the crank pully. The very first one snapped without me even trying to put any pressure on it, the second one did the same.

So I grabbed my trusty can of PB Blaster and soaked them down and went and had a ciggarete (Side Note: PB Blaster on hands + Ciggarette = Painfull)

Came back and the rest came out easy, pulled the pulley off and removed the two broken studs with a pair of needlenose.

I'll run to the hardware store tommorow and get 6 new grade 8 bolts.

So the morals of this story:

1. Get PB Blaster, it kicks ass.
2. Don't smoke with flammable material on your hands.
3. Needlenose pliers are great.

Should have her back up and running in a few days.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
sounds cool, were can i get the PB blaster from, casue i might be changeing exhasut manifold gasket soon. dont wanna brake any studs and take out half the car to fix it after. :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
advance auto, autozone, pepboys, all of the major chains should have it, next to the wd 40

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
FlySwat said:

Anyways, I decided to change the water pump and timing belt while I had it apart, so I grabbed my rachet and started loosening the 6 12mm bolts on the crank pully. The very first one snapped without me even trying to put any pressure on it, the second one did the same.

you sure they snapped? because every time ive pulled a crank pulley, ive noted that 12mm sockets do not loosen 10mm bolts :D :D im just messin with ya, they're 10's(unless replaced)

I had one snap off in my mx6's crank when my dad and i did the water pump and timing belt. he had to use an easyout, and it unthreaded itself. make sure your crank pulley isnt warped or damaged, make sure that keyway is nice and square and not round...ive seen those pulleys wobble around and destroy crank shafts... then you're screwed. make sure to torque those bolts down to factory specs... that could be why those broke.

-Eric

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
just wondering

Re: "everybody's pulling their crank pullies"

Is that a euphemism for masturbation?

·
Registered
737 Posts
If that's the case, um hold on...I have to go pull my crank pulley.:)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
think twice about the lightweigh pullies, there was a big thread about how they don;t have a harmonic dampner on them and aren't too good for your car, and alot of people doubt there is much of a performance increase.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lightening the rotating mass doesn't actually "make" horsepower per say, But I will stick with a stock pully weight, as the mazda engineers know exactly how their crank should be balanced to optimize effieciency.

·
Registered
934 Posts
FlySwat said:
as the mazda engineers know exactly how their crank should be balanced to optimize effieciency.
...the very same efficiency engineered into the intake tubing in the fenderwell. :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I should rephrase:

Mazda Engineers picked the proper crank pulley weight for crank reliability.

The fender resonator keeps helps lower engine compartment noise.

In 1988 Mazda was not trying to sell this car to teenagers who want to go fast, instead too adults that wanted a comfortable luxary-sports coupe.

I'd rather not have to replace my crank anytime soon.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Good point. I agree with you FLyswat. Mazda engineer or wanna-be engineer trying to make some cash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts