Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was the real deal.. not just a lancer or ralliart.

the highway caravan on the way back from myrtle.

i did not win.

however i did not lose either

there was a bit too much traffic to play side by side... so i tucked in behind him, after egging him on a bit.

we were already going like 80... lol.. so it was from a fast roll...

mind you i have very bright hid's that could use a re-aiming.. so he flips his mirror up and gets on it.. as if to say "let me lose this punk" - except he didnt. he got on it before i expected and so opened up another car ( i was following maybe a car length back) but once i was on it, it remained that way until around 130 at which point safety dictated we slow down... it seemed like i was reeling him in very slowly, but its hard to tell at night and from behind.

before the bs flags fly, remember, i am now turbo'd, and there were maybe 15 other cars in the caravan to witness it. i heard over the walkie-talkies one person exclaim "damn theyre fast" ;) and someone else exclaiming they were trying to keep up but couldnt. ;)

anyways i thought i held up pretty well with it... mind you it was pretty new looking, so he might not be through the break in yet (i know my friend's wrx felt tons quicker when i drove it the 2nd time, which was at 2000 miles compared to the 150 he had when i first drove it and thought it was a dog... i am assuming this is part pf the break in characteristic of factory turbo cars (or even a function of the ECU? forcing a break in period by letting it run extra rich or lowering boost etc?) - i am not here to offer excuses for the EVO driver - a highway roll is as cut and dry simple as anything can be.. just offering explanations as to why he didn't pull as hard as i thought he should have.

He was definitely going though, it wasnt just a half throttle deal.. and i didnt honestly expect to keep up so well at just 4 psi on a small turbo.. but i did. whats best is that - after that, he wouldnt go anymore.. we were on the same roadway for another hundred miles, and i would randomly try to run him when the road opened up.. He pussed out after our initial run. :( he did keep looking over, craning his neck.. i'm sure he was thinking.. wtf is that. (at night, with my hood and headlights, unless you can see the whole car, i really don't resemble an mx6 much anymore)

:shrug:

i dont post here often, but i hope to be doing so more once i am intercooled and running 8-10 psi :D:) maybe next time i won't be posting a merely "kept up with" post.

by the way, to put an end to the debate - this evo was DEFINITELY faster at such speeds than the 350 that i raced was.. it would be close, but i was slowly walking the 350 much more definitively than i did with the evo... (i would have to do repeat tests however, as me and 350 shutdown by 100 and i didnt have a passenger or a set of 17" rims and luggage in the back seat and trunk like i did this time.. on the flip side i was also running a lot richer with the 350z - i've since lowered the fpr slightly, and its running closer to the slightly rich, optimal for turbo section of the a/f guage lol... seat of pants improivement = not signiifcant but definitely more noticeable than headers and exhaust were.

god i need a dyno run :(

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
good run Goaty (or is it Crappy??? ;))!!!

Don't forget Chris that the AWD hinders high end performance. More drivetrain loss, something like 30%, on AWD cars. So on highway runs, the AWD advantage they have from a stop on launch hinders them because they have more to move. the larger loss means they aren't NEARLY as fast as they would have been if it was from a dig.

I have run 3 WRX's since I got my car, all from about a 20 or 30 mph roll and have never lossed. I think however from a stop they would have been right at my door and one would have even beaten me I'm sure of it because he was only a car back.

Get that dyno!!!

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aggiedj02 said:

Don't forget Chris that the AWD hinders high end performance. More drivetrain loss, something like 30%, on AWD cars. So on highway runs, the AWD advantage they have from a stop on launch hinders them because they have more to move. the larger loss means they aren't NEARLY as fast as they would have been if it was from a dig.

I have run 3 WRX's since I got my car, all from about a 20 or 30 mph roll and have never lossed. I think however from a stop they would have been right at my door and one would have even beaten me I'm sure of it because he was only a car back.

Get that dyno!!!
yup.. definitely need to dyno :)

aware of the extra driveline losses, but still wouldnt think that i would hang with one as well as i did, on just 4psi, with a loaded car ;) then again our cars respond remarkably well to turbo so who knows.

when i dyno it will be intercooled, but ill do a baseline run on the 4psi spring to approximate what i've been doing so far - then on the 9psi spring to see what it can do;)

i probably wont be going beyond 9psi except when the ic is packed with ice and on 100 octane at the track. ping scares me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Evo 8's are fast cars with great handling.... 2 weeks ago me and 4 other friends borrowed my friends uncle's evo 8 to go to a movie and wow, with 5 people in that car,i could still feel the power!!! makes me want to buy one soooooo bad, too bad it over price budget... i need retirement money now!!! **** i don't want to wait till 75!

G

·
Heh, cool, good kill. And about the break in period, you do gain more power. I was around zcar.com when they did dyno runs before and after break in periods on the 350Z. It was something like 15whp difference after 3,000 miles and an oil change. One guy even managed to break into the very high 13's completely stock at 3500 or so miles on the car.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
992mmx3-t said:
Heh, cool, good kill. And about the break in period, you do gain more power. I was around zcar.com when they did dyno runs before and after break in periods on the 350Z. It was something like 15whp difference after 3,000 miles and an oil change. One guy even managed to break into the very high 13's completely stock at 3500 or so miles on the car.
i've heard the difference is even more dramatic on a turbo'd car :)

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Goatcrapp said:
i've heard the difference is even more dramatic on a turbo'd car :)
I saw your car at the myrtle. Its an exclusive piece of machinery.but the evo are really not what they are hype to be.I have already beaten 2 of it.one from a 20 mph roll and the other from a dead stop.

·
Registered
223 Posts
aggiedj02 said:

Get that dyno!!!
You must've been spraying.... am i correct in this assumption. I have raced two 02's and have beaten them from a 20 - about 85 by 1 car stock. Not calling BS on your kills, but from first hand experince i have not witnessed the same. They were mtx's, however i cannot say they were the best of drivers...... had some good wheel spin

·
Registered
223 Posts
ademan said:
I saw your car at the myrtle. Its an exclusive piece of machinery.but the evo are really not what they are hype to be.I have already beaten 2 of it.one from a 20 mph roll and the other from a dead stop.
Not what they are hype to be? :rolleyes: They are not just made to be a straight line kinda car. Awsome handling, they just love the twisties. You need to drive one before you make a comment like that. BTW good job Goatie!

BTW, the potential on that stock 16g for the evo is amazing!

·
Registered
198 Posts
can't say it better then boost!

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Good Kill

I dont really think that the Evo8's are all that fast. Id expect more from something with 271hp..............then again they are AWD and there heavy as hell. Stock the power drops some, but with mods they seems to open up a lot in the higher rpms. They look like a bigger/beefier IS300 to me??

I see them all the time here and I want to race them. They never want to race though. I always see mid 30 year old men with them, but they always seem to have at least and exhaust.....odd

There turbos sound great when spooling!!!!!!
but he didnt race me though, he just spooled slightly behind me:(

Im doing a 4G63T swap in my friends 2100lbs Mirage (with EvoIII kit) That things gonna kick some major ass. If he can find the traction that is.;)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Good run, that car is gonna be an absolute monster when all is said and done. As far as the evo not being a very quick car, i think they run mid to low 13's stock, thats pretty quick, you have to spend some serious money on most cars to get that fast.

Now hurry up and get the dyno run done, and we wanna see some timeslips too.

-Bryce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts