Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was kind of messed up last night.... There was a group of us from cpoa that went crusin with our Probes and 6's... We was cruisin almost side by side when My buddy in a 95 pgt dropped it down a couple of gears and shot away... As he was doing this he shot a couple of feet of flames out his exaust..... Is this bad or good would be my ? If so I wanna do it..... Is it bad to have almost no back pressure on our moters.... And second I want the best exhaust system for my car I was look at the gen 5 hotshot headers, a test pipe, and a greddy cat back.... Will the Greddy cat back fit our mx6s.... Need some suggestions and info.... Thanks Chris

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know someone who used to mess with the timming of cars so that the valves would close just a little late sending flames shooting out through the talepipe. I don't think you can do this on newer cars by this method though, anyway I'd imagine you would loose horsepower by doing this.
They do make kits that shoot flames out of the tailpipe by feeding fuel and a spark down to the tailpipe. I remeber a post about this a few months ago, try doing a search.
If you do decide to do it, just keep in mind that it probably is not street legal and quite potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for your imput... Actually I was thinkin about doin the flame thrower kit on my 6 just for the heck of it... And for drag use only... Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
i think if you already have lots of fuel squirting into your engine, & you have extra duration on your exhaust valves, & you powershift you can get flames,... but someone tell me: how could burning fuel possibly be beneficial for your exhaust system?? dangerous for sure if you ask me...

·
Registered
641 Posts
A friend of mine drilled and tapped a hole in his exhaust tip and put in a spark plug. He ran a wire from the plug to a toggle switch in his dash and then to the battery. Flip the switch and floor it and you get instant two foot flames out the exhaust.

·
Registered
352 Posts
zero cool said:
A friend of mine drilled and tapped a hole in his exhaust tip and put in a spark plug. He ran a wire from the plug to a toggle switch in his dash and then to the battery. Flip the switch and floor it and you get instant two foot flames out the exhaust.
Wait, all he did was set-up a spark plug into his exhaust tip and got flames. What is it burning there?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I guess is just ignited the exhaust fumes. I don't know if it was because he was running rich or what. It only lit up when he floored it.

G

·
I think that a flaming exhaust would be really cool ... does any one have any more info on this ...or pictures.. maybe ?.. anyway .. if its as easy as tapping a hole for a spark plug and running a wire and switch .. ide definatly do it!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
i dont think that i would ever do the spark plug in the tail pipe becuase i heard a story somewhere about some kids that did this to a mustang a while ago and they were driving around and stepped on it and it blew up the car and killed all 4 of them. you have to think it might not ignite only the fumes or whatever that are coming out of the rear but also everything in the pipes etc. but it would be sweet if you could do it safley.in a magazine i saw an article about a kit you can buy but it was like 800 bucks and i think it was only for vtecs at the time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts