Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 v6 mx6 LS and i replaced the following...

Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
PCV Valve
O2 Sensors
Engine Oil
Power Steering Pump & fluid (i know nothing to do with it)
Tranny Fluid (nothing to do with it either)

And what happens, is water vapor will form out of the exaust only if i rev to 4k or higher, and takes a few minutes to go away. If the AC is turned on, or if the fan turns on, the vapor immediatly goes away, and once turned off, appears again. Some say its just a byproduct from the catalytic converter, and i hope thats what it is. The exaust does not smell sweet by any means, it smells like exaust. I don't seem to be loosing coolant, but i havent driven it yet, its been in my garage on jack stands, and will be on the road tonight. Someone told me that i could check for a coolant leak, if i left the engine running and removed the antifreeze radiator cap, i did so and it came rushing out and spilled, so i put it back on quick, that tells me that it is pressurized. What could be the cause of this, maybe a bad Catalytic converter?? I know my car has been run a long time with bad o2 sensors (carfax history, says hasnt passed last four emission tests), and i changed both of them and it runs great. The engine is running VERY strong, mucho power and all.

Any suggestions why it is doing this???

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This is normal during cold starts. The Cat oes this until it warms up.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
your cat is doing it's job! Praise the man for that! It will pass inspection now too!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
oh yeah... one more thing... DON'T EVER take off that cap while the engine is running or the engine is hot at all! If you have ever seen a burn victim who has been so dumb as to do what you did you would think twice! The coolant doesn't always just gurgle over... it can spray out due to high pressurizing and hot your face leaving it scarred for life!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, makes me feel better about my car now.

I took her for a nice little spin last night after i put everything back together, and man i love this car!! My dad was like... ok, just let off the clutch slowely, but dont give it any gas. It takes off without me having to give it gas and doesnt stall! I didnt think it was that powerful. I got some undercar green neons, and some spinning rim lights too!! Thanks for all the help

Justin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts