Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It's about time I start modifying, so..

I'm thinking exhaust first. Now i've heard with a free flowing exhaust the boost can spike and thats not good. I'm not going to be running stupidly high levels of boost, I don't want to touch internals atm. I just want a relatively quiet exhaust that will flow freely.

I'm thinking a 2.5" from the cat back is the way to go, and I can add bits from there (dump pipe, high flow cat, etc.) My question is, will I need a boost controller or chip or anything first, or should I be fine with just an exhaust?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Although I got my car chipped around the same time as the exhaust (So, I never had the problem), I could almost guarantee that you will be fine... maybe hit boost cut on a cold night, in 5th gear with your foot to the floor going up hill.

If you are going to get the exhaust done, you might as well do it properly and get from the turbo back, rather than the cat.

Make sure you get mandrel bends, and its up to you whether or not you want 2.5" or 3" pipes... do a search this topic has been covered in great detail before, at least 50 times.

Cya,
Tripharn

·
Registered
357 Posts
i have a 3" exhaust adn when i run stock boost (i have a dual stage controller), its hits a maximum of 9.5psi on a cold night. i never had a problem with boost cut until i set the boost up at 12psi. then it used to hit boost cut low in the rpm. I put a screw in the afm to stop it opening all the way and now i run 14psi. it has awesome midrange pick up. One day i will fix my turbo and change computer. anyway, hope i answered your question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts