Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.... I am at a loss here.

I bought my 89 LX MX-6 a few weeks ago. It is in awesome shape.

As soon as I got it home and pulled into the driveway, it got loud as hell. I jacked it up to look at the exhaust and the exhaust pipe snapped right in front of the catalytic converter. The exhaust is solid and so is the cat. There's hardly any rust on it at all. The pipe just seemed to break clean somehow. It broke about 1" in front of the cat. I have tried the exhaust tape and all but it keeps leaking. I spent all I had to buy the car and would hate to blow another $200 already on exhaust that seems solid.

Could I buy a reducer that would fit over the pipe coming from the manifold and then fit inside the cat? Does anyone know the outer diameter and inner diameter of the stock pipe?

Please help me!!

Simmy

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
If it's a clean break, why dont you see if a shop can weld it back together? Shouldnt cost more than $40.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Sounds link the pivot flange broke off. This happened to me and finally made me give up on the stock exhaust. But you can "fix it" for awhile if you use some steel cable to pull the pivot towards one of the cat brackets. This allows it to pivot but will occasionaly you will hear the noise if you hit something because the wire wont hold it together as tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts