Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know any good exhaust fitters in the somerset area? i've just bought a universal back box from america and need it fitted properly, any recommendations or advice would be great, cheers

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
any mechanic should be able to do it!
it shouldnt cost more than 30 pounds
is it jst the back box right?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I fitted the mid section and back box on my car. I'm no expert but i do know a man with a lift! Took me about an hour. But as I say I'm a complete novice. Just went to a garage with the zort sections and asked for the right sized gaskets. Only cost a couple of quid. The main pain in the a*se was getting the bolts undone. May I suggest gallons of WD40 preferable applied at least 24 hours in advance. :) In the end, and after much swearing and scrapped knuckles, I just cut straight through the area round the flange between the mid and back box as the bolts were too far gone. Fortunately the bolts at the front of the mid section were not to bad. I also used some exhust putty to make sure of a sound seal between both flanges.

Six months later still sound no blowing at all. Man she sounds sweet. :D Can't help but roll down the windows and give her a rev as I drive under bridges. Yup that's right I'm an R whites secret under bidge revver! lol Not to worry the men in white coats will be here shortly... hopefully with a nice glass of lemonade.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
reving under bridges kicks ass!! i love giong to bridges for that reason only hehe

·
Registered
822 Posts
if the bolts are really tight use something called 'plusgas' its like WD40 but much strong in action. another thing which sounds strange but can work is to try and TIGHTEN the bolts a tiny bit.... it just breaks the rust seal.
As for fitting of the exhaust whetehr or not you can do it yourself depends on whether or not it needs to be welded or just needs a 'reducer' pipe and some exhasut sealing paste. Dont forget to fit customer hangers as well as you dont want it falling off!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it needs to be welded and a custom pipe will need to be made as this backbox is 17 inches long and the original is 28", also a bracket will need to be constructed to hang the exhaust from the original position.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
oh thats a different story!
ask your local mechanic if he can do it
if not he should be able to tell u where the cheap places are that do this!

how come u got it from the states? got a picture of it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll have some pics soon. its a carbon fibre 4 1/2" slash cut exhaust with the tuneable insert, which will always be removed!, it cost £37 from the usa ebay, quality looks really good and the welds are neat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts