Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing a '93 Mx-6 v6. The mechanic I had check it out noticed that the exhaust flex pipe might need to be replaced. The Mazda dealer wants to charge me $450 for this part.
Since I don't have a vast knowlege of cars and don't know exactly what this part is. If I just put a CAT-BACK in it, would that also replace this part.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
WickdGin said:
Since I don't have a vast knowlege of cars and don't know exactly what this part is. If I just put a CAT-BACK in it, would that also replace this part.
No. The flex pipe is part of the downpipe for the headers or exhaust manifolds. Replacing you rexcisting exhaust system will not remedy this. A CAT-BAC exhaust is just that, the exhaust system from the catalitic converter back. The flex pipe is BEFORE the catalitic converter. The best thing to do would be to have a shop weld on a replacement flex pipe using the excisting stock downpipe. Basically cut off the rusted olf portion of the flex pipe and then weldingon a new one.

OR, you can get in on the bulk buy with Hotshot and get their ceramic coated headers. THAT will replace both exhaust manifolds and the downpipe. Thus, getting rid of your stock, rusted flex pipe.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I agree, you can go aftermarket and either save money or spend just a little more depending on what brand you buy. An added bonus is increased performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts