Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a number of peeps that believe if the manufacturer put an item on a car they probably had good reason to do so but I’m not in that camp; especially re heat shields.

I wondered what the thoughts on this site were of them? I am especially thinking of the centre exhaust heat shield on my 323f 1.5 – ours rusted one end and I repaired it with a jubilee clip only for a split to appear on the other end near the bolts. I have now removed it completely and plan to run without it.

I personally can’t see the risk of fire from the heat at that point of the exhaust anyway though I would like to hear other people’s opinion. I have often removed heat shielding on manifolds of other cars and never noticed an issue re starting/running/fuel consumption etc, even on turbo cars like my 200SX.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I dont use mine but I dont run cats any more so the exhaust runs cooler in that area.

I also run headers so I dont have manifold shields noe and I burned a ignition cable bad. It's partly the cables fault though. The set I got fit badly and the front ones either hang half way to the ground or are looped a couple times on the VC.

The shifter bushings are vulnerable to heat too. Especialy if they are stock rubber ones. And the rubber of the shifter base tends to fail on high mile cars so I think heat might make it worse.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Its all about long term reliability - hot engine bays lead to hoses, pipes, leads everything - cracking and wearing out prematurely. Thats why the factory puts them there and no way in hell im removing mine.

Oh, hot engine bays are not conducive to performance either.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Thats all mostly true except that the shields dont realy make a difference in the engine boy temp. After all the heat has no where else to go so the engine bay aver time will be just as warm.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
some places require them cause exhausts run near a/c lines or vac lines. keep those. if it is a heat shield to keep if from something that obviously doesn't need it than remove it.

it's like most cars having dust guards bolted behind rotors. those hold in heat like a crazy mofo. rally cars don't use them either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts