Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 95 mx6. I saw three different exhausts for my car. Well beside homemade. Borla is out of the question. Too much money. Now there is pacesetter and magna flow. I am looking to upgrade on the cheap. Do I really
need to purchase the whole set or can I just get a new performance muffler.
I am basically looking for gas milage and a little hp. Where is the best place
to buy the set.

·
Registered
250 Posts
'crush pipe' means that the tubing bender puts a bunch of kinks in the pipe (like stock) it's restrictive and causes turbulence.

'stretch pipe' (like some aftermarket manufacturers use) means that one side of the pipe is stretched to make turns, this means the pipe also gets narrower. restrictive but no turbulence.

Mandrel bent pipe has no thinning or turbulence and is the best you can buy for performance purposes. Usually you can get it for significantly cheaper than aftermarket.

For the cheapest exhaust upgrade you can do yourself:

Go to auto parts store, buy a universal exhaust hanger or two.
purchase a muffler (any 'turbo' muffler will do, and can be had for thirty bucks).
purchase a new exhaust tip (if you ask the staff will let you take it outside to make sure it will fit your bumper).
Purchase whatever piping you'll need to transition from stock size piping to the size on your new muffler.
buy as many exhaust clamps as you'll need to clamp everything together.
take off your axle back pipe and cut off your stock muffler (leave as much stock pipe as you can).
pre fit your new muffler and transition piping,
put the pipe back on the car and adjust as needed, use the exhaust hangers to hang it and you're done. takes two hours at the most and it'll give much better sound and a little horsepower, but not much.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Or if you have a friend with a welder who will let you use it for a few hours, you could fab up your own in a day's time for under $250, depending on how much you spend on your cat and muffler.

Results for Mandrel Bends

Probably the cheapest mandrel bends you'll find online. Straight piping, flanges and universal cats go for next to nothing on eBay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts