Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i get my oil changed the other day ( i dont do it myself, this will come into play later you will see :~) and they tell me that i have a hole in my exhaust right before the muffler. Now i knew this was coming cause a friend told me it was rusted when i got the car. So anyways, damange done, now what?

I was considering taking this oppourtunity to put on some custom exhaust, nothing special, maybe 2.25" But my questions are,

1) does the walker muffler i have already fit on bigger exhaust or do i need to buy a new one?

2) Is there any point to buying exhaust? I'm not rich and this will be my only mod for a while, so other than the fact that i want it, is the difference in price worth the difference in sound?

If you could suggest different set ups for me that would be great too. I did a search and found lots of words (cat back, borla, flowmaster) but i dont know exactly what needs to be purchased so i can shop around for some prices.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
452 Posts
A Cat back is what it says. An entire exhaust system from the catalytic converter back. Borla, Greddy are cat back systems. Borla sells separate mufflers though they are generic and about $80. If your muffler is ok have a local muffler shop bend and weld some new pipes and resonator. I just purchased an entire new stock Mazda exhaust system for $290 delivered from a discount Mazda dealer I found on the internet. Borla will cost at least $400 and Greddy $550-650. The cheapest is to have someone local fix you up.

·
Registered
599 Posts
That happened to me last spring. i had a hole in my muffler and got the whole cat-back done. Figured it might needed to be replaced soon enough anyways.

Sounds better now too. Just put on a Vibrant muffler with 2.5" piping.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If it is your only mod, it will not make much difference. mainly sound louder, deeper, feel faster. You need a better intake system such as a Hotshot to improve intake air flow to benefit from improved exhaust. Exhausts do not make that much difference overall. The factory system flows very well and is very quiet. I tried a Borla and did not like it (too much interior resonance) on the Mazda. However I have a Borla on my 95 Explorer and it sounds great, like a Corvette. Your experience may differ. Price Midas and Meineke. Your entire system may be ready to crash and they may refuse to attach new pipes to your muffler due to its condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts