Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I deleted my post about the check engine light--I think I know the problem, but am not sure so help me out.

The Exhaust manifold is getting red (orange) hot, even when not using the turbo, just normal 65mph driving even on a cool night.

My check engine light recently started coming on, on a previous post, someone said that running lean would cause the manifold to get that hot.

Now I'm really thinking it is the O2 sensor (probably has never been replaced), and am going to buy one tomorrow. Has anyone else had this problem? I also realize it could be the catalytic converter, but I doubt it.

And is there something "special" that I need to know about pulling the O2 sensor out (I don't want to break it). Do I spray some sort of lubricant on it or anything? Help!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Jiffy, my manifold has glowed since I got the car. With new O2 sensor and everything. Still wouldn't hurt to change the sensor out. You don't spray anything on it, it comes with anti-seize lubricant straight from the factory. I would highly suggest buying an 02 sensor socket though, it has a hole that lets the wire stick out. VERY useful.
Like I asked in the other post, I didn't go check to see if you answered or not. Have you pulled your trouble codes?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I don't have the little code scanner (I'm going to buy one soon) to check the codes. And also, doesn't the "Check Engine" light have to be on before it will give you any code? Cause mine turns off, and stays off, you never know when it will come on.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Once the CEL comes on it's loggeed into the computer. It doesn't have to be on when you read the code.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, went out and bought the 02 sensor, $35 (I wanted the OE one--Bosch, they had a "universal" one for $22). There is a wire coming out of the top of the sensor of course, so I bought a socket for it--$12, made the job real easy. I spent about $54 after taxes and the window sticker my sister wanted.

I had to use a "cheetah bar" (for those who know what that) cause it was hard to take off.

I thought maybe I was going to have to remove the radiator, but I didn't. Went well. I will check the Manifold tonight, and be watching for the Check Engine light. I am also disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it to reset any codes the computer stored.

I hope this fixed it, but I'm sure I needed an 02 sensor anyway! I'll let yall know. Oh yeah, the 02 sensor had anti-seize stuff already on it--that was cool.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Jiffy, you don't need a code scanner to pull trouble codes. It's actually quite easy.
Get a piece of wire that's about 1 1/2 foot long and strip either end. Look around the firewall on the driver's side right by the fender. You should see a little green plug that's not plugged into anything. It's just one wire. Put one end of the wire you stripped into the plug, and ground the other end. I use the negative terminal on my battery. It doesn't have to be permanent, you can just wedge the wire in so it'll stay put for a minute. Then go in and turn the ignition on in the car, without starting it. Watch the check engine light. It will blink the trouble codes. Codes are separated by a 4 second pause. A long blink is the first number, and short blinks is the second number. For example, if you get 1 long blink, followed by 5 short blinks, that would be a 15. If you get just a series of short blinks, that's a single digit number, like 5 short blinks would be a 5. I'm not gonna type all the codes out right now, but, I'll post any codes that you find. Also, after installing your O2 sensor, be sure to reset the ECU. Disconnect your negative battery terminal, and hold the brake pedal down for 10-15 seconds.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If your exhaust manifold is turning red then there's clogging in either your downpipe, catalytic, or the rest of your exhaust system. Common sense...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the O2 sensor didn't fix the problem with the Exhaust Manifold Glow. I am going to take it to get the Catylitic Converter checked out today and replaced if necessary.

Last night on the way from Marshall Texas to Dallas, I stopped in Marshall (my hometown), got some gas, then the car wouldn't start. The battery terminals were a bit loose, so push started it, took it to my Dad's house (around 10pm). Well, we tightened the battery cables, and then ran it again. It was obvious that the alternator wasn't charging.

I was thinking I was going to miss work, them my dad (smart thinking) checked the connections to the alternator, the connector was just barely hanging onto the alternator. He pushed it all the way in, and the car ran fine.

I have not seen the CEL light since, I do kindof wonder if maybe the battery voltage dropped low enough to cause the check engine light to come on (below 8 Volts, the computer cannot run properly).

We will see today if I need the CC.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey rmtaylor, your "common sense" was inaccurate.

The Catalytic Converter is good. So now I'm sure it is running lean. What should I check first?

·
Registered
287 Posts
My "common sense" said that something was blocked up. Didn't mean it was certainly the cat.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it has a new muffler and resonator, and I would EXTREMELY surprised if something somehow someway stopped up the downpipe.

I'm going to but a whole can of Barium B12 or whatever it is called in my half tank of gas. If I'm lucky, it is clogged injectors.

Any other inputs?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah I'd take it to the dealer before you end up screwing something up that has nothing to do with the problem, then you have two problems...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're probably right rmtaylor. Good suggestion.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When my Subaru was having problems, I tried all these different things and ended up ruining two injectors and an o-ring...

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Not for nothing, but my manifold/exhaust housing glows when just cruising for a long period of time. Im almost positive it's normal.

You guys are right those are the symptoms of an exhaust restriction. But did it ever occur to anyone that the turbo itself is a restriction? Cuz it is.

Also about running lean, remember you have a turbocharged engine. If it WERE running lean, you'd really notice it. Either by reduced boost (if you're using the stock BCS) or by the car being just really sluggish feeling due to retarded timing. Or even worse, a blown engine do to detonation.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I've solved it. I put Barium B12 in about 1/2 of a tank of gas, ran it almost bone dry, then Filled up the tank.

I came home last night, no glowing. I'll be watching it for a while though.

Also, my "Check Engine" light has not been on since I tightened the connection on the alternator (the control connection, not the power cord).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is NOT fixed. Dam!!! I guess I'll be taking it to the dealer this week!

I just don't think that the cherry red glow is good for it, at all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts